Question AIO Cooler or CPU failing?

sharkbyte27

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
After a quick move to a new home, my PC has been shutting off after a few minutes of use. The system wasn't more than 15 minutes in transit, maybe a few days of being off and not used. I have the Corsair H100i v2, which was an RMA to the v1 version (fans failed), Corsair ended up sending me a new version about 2.5 years ago and it's been smooth ever since.
New place doesn't have ethernet access for me so I used a USB wifi adapter (Asus USB AC68) for a short while and everything was working properly, until I booted up a game and was in the settings when the first crash happened. Originally I thought maybe the USB adapter is drawing too much power (felt warm to the touch after crashing) from the mobo, previously I had all accessories going through a powered USB hub.

Nothing has been overclocked, my franken build, below:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3
CPU: AMD FX-8320
Graphics: XFX-RX480 8GB
Power: Antec 750w
SSD: Samsung EVO 860
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
USB wifi adapter: ASUS USB AC-68

After all kinds of troubleshooting, I'm starting to lean towards CPU overheating or failure since the system shuts off under minimal amounts of load.
One thing I noticed with the AIO cooler is that one of the two hoses gets warm/hot to the touch, the other one doesn't seem to fluctuate in temperature much, has the pump died? Both fans still running, light on pump still working too.
How I replicate the issue: turn on system, boots up to desktop and runs fine for a few minutes, but as soon as I start to open Chrome, Firefox it will shut off the pc. No noises, clicks or (thankfully) burning smells.

This is what I have tried so far in terms of troubleshooting:
  • cleaned dust
  • replaced graphics card with another, same issue
  • unplugged different components from mobo (front panel usb, reseated system fans as well)
  • removed unessential hard drives
  • repasted cpu and cooler
  • replaced pc power cable
  • cycled through different usb slots with keyboard/mouse/mousepad (all razer rbg lit)
  • removed USB wifi adapter/peripherals for shorting

If anyone has any ideas or solutions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Oddly enough, despite it seeming counterintuitive, one tube getting hot indeed does often mean the pump is not pumping at all.... There's simply no realistic way for fluid to then become magically cooled down to 23C in a 1 second trip thru a radiator in time to be nice and cool for it's input back into the CPU... Guessing the radiator itself also feels room temp (another indication nothing is going thru it)?

If you are sure the pump is still locked down, and it's power source has not perhaps become dislodged...I'd say the pump has died. Two-three years of life is typical/average. (Better than a catastrophic leak, at least)

TRENDING THREADS