[SOLVED] AIO CPU Cooler Mounting in Case

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Hi guys,

So I have the Kraken x72 AIO Liquid Cooler for i9 9900k. Initially, I was planning to install the 360mm on the top side of the case (Cougar Panzer EVO RBG) as exhaust and push fans. However, there is not enough space as the heatsinks on the motherboard (MSI MEG z390 ACE) are in the way, making it impossible to mount the AIO cooler on the top side.

I had to change the airflow. What I did is that I changed the inflow fans to the top side (3x120 mm from the front side) and installed the Kraken X72 on the front side as exhaust/push.

I need your help in knowing the following:
- WIll the airflow be good? I am planning to overclock the CPU i9 9900k to 5hz on all cores, hopefully, higher but will see.
- I would like to change the stock NZXT fans on the Kraken x72 to Corsair HD120 RGB LED High-Performance 120mm PWM Fan, but instead of being in PUSH location I will mount them as PULL so that I can have the RBG lights showing from the front Tempered glass of the case. ( it will be still exhaust)

Considering the above, do you think that cooling will be optimum?

Thanks in advance

Solution
"So do you think that 3x CORSAIR HD 120 mm fans will be good in intake/push position in the front side of the case?"

Comparted to the Aer P 120s the AIO includes, you are losing static pressure and airflow, for a slightly quieter with RGB fan.

If your like corsair, they have the LL120 RGB LED 120mm that has better static presure, with a much smaller airflow loss. compared to the Aer P series.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/LL-White-RGB-Dual-Light-Loop-RGB-LED-PWM-Fan/p/CO-9050091-WW

I haven't compared many RGB fans, so I have no idea what the "gold standard" product line is. If someone else has thoughts, please chime in!
Jan 8, 2019
I would advise placing radiator on front with fans pulling into the case (intake). That would give better airflow for your gpu.

Top intake is normally a bad idea, the hot air from the gpu wants to rise, so you create odd airflow. The front fans pull most of the air before it can cycle the the gpu exhaust well.

I would do radiator in front for intake, use the rear fan for exhaust, and maybe just the fan directly above the CPU for exhaust as well.

Having positive air pressure in that setup shouldn’t be too bad, as the heat is moving how it wants to naturally

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018

Ok, I am using MSI Gaming TRIO X RTX2080 ti. So I guess you are right there, there will a lot of heat generated from GPU.

So do you think that 3x CORSAIR HD 120 mm fans will be good in intake/push position in the front side of the case?

mtracy1991

Reputable

That should be good. Throw your AIO and exhaust air from the top or rear of the case if it fits. You'll only know if you throw the fans on the front to intake and analyze temperatures.

Jan 8, 2019
I tend to not care about RGB, so I stick with noctua fans. In general though, fan as push or pull makes very little difference, a degree or two, so it’s really preference.

When comparing fans for radiators, static pressure is the most important metric to compare. I’ll look at those two fans in a few minutes for you

Jan 8, 2019
"So do you think that 3x CORSAIR HD 120 mm fans will be good in intake/push position in the front side of the case?"

Comparted to the Aer P 120s the AIO includes, you are losing static pressure and airflow, for a slightly quieter with RGB fan.

If your like corsair, they have the LL120 RGB LED 120mm that has better static presure, with a much smaller airflow loss. compared to the Aer P series.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/LL-White-RGB-Dual-Light-Loop-RGB-LED-PWM-Fan/p/CO-9050091-WW

I haven't compared many RGB fans, so I have no idea what the "gold standard" product line is. If someone else has thoughts, please chime in!

Solution

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018

The fans that you just linked come in black too, but surprisingly there is a huge difference in their specs. And it is the same price, kinda strange.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050072-WW

Thanks for the comparison though, I will see some reviews of the HD 120mm and the LL120.

Although, I was kinda sure that LL series are not for static pressure.