AIO DRN-STN Review: A Gaming All-In-One With A 120 Hz Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Up to 20x the graphics power and 2x the CPU performance? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with all that extra space.

I also didn't get a chance to note in the article that "Full Sized" power supply means PS/2 form factor (and extended versions thereof). ATX power standard does not include a form factor, because form factors designate "form". This is, in spite of what Yahoo Answers might tell you. So "Full ATX" is a misnomer concerning power supplies.

bloody llama

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The internal case appears to be made by NZXT. The 3.5" rails and the PCI toolless latch are exactly the same as my NZXT case from 2005.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NZXT doesn't manufacture its own cases though, or at least it didn't in 2005 :)

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Is it oversimplification to say that the system looks like a monitor and a case held together by a shroud? I agree with Trutherizer, especially at that price, but, to go a little bit further, it needs a docking station for a keyboard and mouse.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Quote:What does this retro looking gaming box have over an established gaming notebook say an Alienware or Asus? Thanks for the choice though.Up to 20x the graphics power and 2x the CPU performance? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with all that extra space.I also didn't get a chance to note in the article that "Full Sized" power supply means PS/2 form factor (and extended versions thereof). ATX power standard does not include a form factor, because form factors designate "form". This is, in spite of what Yahoo Answers might tell you. So "Full ATX" is a misnomer concerning power supplies.> I seriously doubt 20x graphics and 2x cpu power.I saw no 3dMark11 numbers, just that they were intending to test it.My M18xR2, can get 11,500 3DMark11.I have dual RAID 250GB Evo's, i7 Extreme @ 4.6GHz, 16GB RAM CAS9 @25,500GB/s throughput, and I too can upgrade my GPUs also, unlike some laptops.32lbs?Mine is 11.8lbs. Good luck with your carry-on at the check-in desk.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What does this retro looking gaming box have over an established gaming notebook say an Alienware or Asus? Thanks for the choice though.
The fact that you can stick desktop parts in it, and build a high end PC at half the price of an alienware or asus gaming notebook? Use your brain for a second... the best alienware notebook comes with an 18" screen, one or two GTX 780m cards (witch are about half the power of a desktop GTX 780) and are NOT easily upgradeable. Notebook graphics and CPUs are 2-4 times more expensive then desktop counterparts, and half the performance. Also, I personally find laptop gaming very uncomfortable. Screens are too small, keyboard is too close to the screen, screen is too low, I have to keep looking down witch is very uncomfortable after a few hours... I've been waiting for something like this for a while now. Sure, they could have made it smaller... a micro-ATX or even micro-ITX mainboard would have been enough... a built in closed loop water cooling system for the CPU, and a PCI-E riser for the GPU would have made it a lot more compact.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I also love the retro military/industrial design. I just wish some manufacturer would come up with a standardized AIO enclosure with a 24 or 27" screen, small form factor mainboard, closed loop watercooler for the CPU, GPU mountable next to the maiboard using a riser card, and a battery that would provide about 1 hour of usage in windows desktop for a 300-450w cfg. Basically, I want a laptop with no keyboard or touchpad that I can upgrade using widely available desktop parts... The only portability I need is the ability to carry the thing with me and easily set it up at a hotel or a friends house, without the hassle of carrying two separate units (display and computer) + cables...

Sep 22, 2013
Same panel as the VG248QE? So it can use a G-Sync module, then. Which would be great if I wanted flawless gaming in what looks like a giant Panasonic Toughbook. This would be great for gaming in the back of a HUM-V.

I like the idea, but I think it needs to be refined a lot. The double casing panels may help with noise, but just add a lot of weight ( and apparently don't help with rigidity much. ) Something like this doesn't need the traditional case layout. Why not take something like the HAF XB, stand it on its edge, and attach a decent display panel to it? Such a thing shouldn't be too hard and should be no more than $400.

And Tom, I agree with your audio measuring method. Test the thing how it would be actually used, not according to some abstract rules.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
They put a monitor and a normal PC case in a box and think they can charge a $750 premium? Do you know how I safely transport my 24" monitor? In the original box it came in. I really wanted to post a picture of a PC and a monitor box in another cardboard box, but I guess you can't put pics in article comments.

The whole point of an all in one is to take up less space. This takes up more space than bolting a VESA mounting kit to an existing ATX case. A lot of mini PCs are being shipped with VESA mounting holes built in now. This is an overpriced and utterly pointless piece of hardware. If you want to spend $750 on a custom PC case talk to me, I'll build something unique and personal for that price that is more functional and more portable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It appears the firm is trying to cover the cost of expensive tooling at low volume.

Sep 22, 2013
Actually, you know what would make this even more cool? Put the gaming controls on the front. Then they can have the world's first all-in-one ATX gaming PC hand-held with a 24" screen. Maybe they can sell it with one of those chest-carry style harnesses like they use for babies converted to support a full-sized PC. Add a cup holder, battery pack that holds a car battery and tripod so you don't fall over and it's complete!

Seriously, though I think this was made for bored drone operators. It even has the sun visor.

It'll be great for [absolutely no situation ever].

Status
Not open for further replies.