Question AIO fan question

Jan 15, 2020
I'm looking at getting the Cooler Master H500M case and I would like to use Cooler Masters AIO. If possible I would like to have the rad at the front of the case but I want to keep the 200mm fans that come with the case. Will I notice any negative effect using the rad against the 200mm fans with the 120mm fans on the other side? Thanks.

Mike

I would expect a negative impact on how the radiator performs. Normally the sides of the fans do not allow air to escape around the side of the radiator and it is forced through the radiator. By having a fan larger than the radiator there is no barrier to stop a % of air taking the easier route around the side of the radiator.

How much of on an impact this has I has no idea.

I'm looking at getting the Cooler Master H500M case and I would like to use Cooler Masters AIO. If possible I would like to have the rad at the front of the case but I want to keep the 200mm fans that come with the case. Will I notice any negative effect using the rad against the 200mm fans with the 120mm fans on the other side? Thanks.

Mike
Case fans are optimized for air flow and radiators static pressure fans are design to push air thru radiator fins.

You could have 5° to 10° degrees difference (even higher) depending of the type of fans and their location (close or away from radiator.).

Jan 15, 2020
I see. To be clear, I'm not trying to use the 200mm fans for radiator cooling. I will be using the two 120mm fans mounted to the rad on the inside of the case. My thought process was there would potentially be a pressure difference with the 200mm on one side and 120's on the other side. I'm not sure how this will affect things. Also thought the radiator would block a fair bit of the intake from the 200mm fans increasing overall temp inside the case.

Sorry. I'm new to all this and not sure how to word my questions very effectively lol.

Mike

I see. To be clear, I'm not trying to use the 200mm fans for radiator cooling. I will be using the two 120mm fans mounted to the rad on the inside of the case. My thought process was there would potentially be a pressure difference with the 200mm on one side and 120's on the other side. I'm not sure how this will affect things. Also thought the radiator would block a fair bit of the intake from the 200mm fans increasing overall temp inside the case.

Sorry. I'm new to all this and not sure how to word my questions very effectively lol.

Mike
Ah I see. Interesting idea. A pressure difference could easily occur but how much this would impact performance I don’t know but I think this would be far better than removing the 120mm fans. The impact might be minimal or maybe even positive, I think this is the type of thing there are many variables and you would just have to test it to see.

Yes, the rad will block/divert airflow from the 200mm fan. Because of the resistance, not much air from the 200mm fan will actually pass through the rad. Instead the air will divert around the edges of the rad since resistance is lower in that path. However, the 200mm fan air will still cool the leading side of the rad fins, while the 120mm fans will cool the trailing side and suck some air though.

You'll certainly going to see higher GPU temps by blocking the intake airflow with the rad.

TRENDING THREADS