Question AIO Fans speed

Jan 5, 2023
Hello everyone.

So, I am looking forward to buy an AIO but my case has some restrictions and I want to install it in the better way possible.
My case originally comes with 3x 140mm fans on the front panel, they are connected via molex cables. Between them and the inner part of the case there is another panel so I can't basically remove them and install the radiator with the fans that comes with it in the place where these 140mm fans are placed. The only way would be to install the radiator in the inner part and remove these 140mm fans to install the new ones. However, because of the aesthetics and because these fans are really quite i would like to keep them and install the radiator in the inner part.

What I want to know is if its possible to maintain these 140mm fans running full speed in a push config with the radiator and if there is a possibility to install the fans that comes with the radiator and so I can make a push/pull config.

A few things to consider. The fans that come with the case may be designed for good airflow, fans designed to be attached to radiators and coolers are designed for higher static pressure. Therefore using the case fans might reduce cooling performance even if always at 100%, you would need to compare the specs of both sets of fans. You may also notice more noise when the fans are against a radiator due to more air turbulence. When I looked at reviews of push/pull configurations on AIO’s (although years ago) the difference was somewhere between zero and negligible.

There is nothing stopping you trying the case fans, they may work well enough for you. But the AIO’s fans may perform better and because the speed can be controlled the AIO’s fans could be quiter.

Reactions: Tiago.777
In general the fans in the front of a case are flow fans rather than pressure fans. Even if they were pressure fans that radiators like the spacing between the radiator and the fans are important and it is even more complex if you are not using a radiator that is also not designed for 140mm fans.

My guess will be your case fans will be pretty much decoration. You can test it pretty easy turn the case fans off and use just the radiator fans. I would not attempt to use the case fans only.
Generally there is not a huge difference between using a radiator in pull configuration rather than push. But that is only looking at the fans that come with the radiator.

If you can mount the radiator say on the top and push the air out the top you will have the best use of both sets of fans.

Jan 5, 2023
A few things to consider. The fans that come with the case may be designed for good airflow, fans designed to be attached to radiators and coolers are designed for higher static pressure. Therefore using the case fans might reduce cooling performance even if always at 100%, you would need to compare the specs of both sets of fans. You may also notice more noise when the fans are against a radiator due to more air turbulence. When I looked at reviews of push/pull configurations on AIO’s (although years ago) the difference was somewhere between zero and negligible.

There is nothing stopping you trying the case fans, they may work well enough for you. But the AIO’s fans may perform better and because the speed can be controlled the AIO’s fans could be quiter.
Thanks for the help!

Jan 5, 2023
In general the fans in the front of a case are flow fans rather than pressure fans. Even if they were pressure fans that radiators like the spacing between the radiator and the fans are important and it is even more complex if you are not using a radiator that is also not designed for 140mm fans.

My guess will be your case fans will be pretty much decoration. You can test it pretty easy turn the case fans off and use just the radiator fans. I would not attempt to use the case fans only.
Generally there is not a huge difference between using a radiator in pull configuration rather than push. But that is only looking at the fans that come with the radiator.

If you can mount the radiator say on the top and push the air out the top you will have the best use of both sets of fans.
That's probably what i am going to do. In this case I can only install a 120mm aio because of the memories height.

Jan 5, 2023
Maybe just use a quality air cooler. Many can actually outperform a 120 aio. Now if you mean a AIO that is only 120mm wide but is say a 240 or 360 then those can outperform a air cooler espeically if noise level is a concern.
What I really want is something quiet because the cpu is a basic i3 12100f, I am actually using the stock cpu cooler and it makes a lot of noise when on high performance. I was thinking about an AIO because if I make an upgrade I would keep the AIO and as I read they are usually quieter

Read a number of the reviews that show the noise levels of the coolers. A air cooler with a big fan or maybe even 2 fans can be as quite as a small 120 aio.

A 12100f does not put out a lot of heat so you likely can run at fairly low fan speed on a air cooler. Many stock coolers only run at full speed and can not be adjusted by the motherboard.