[SOLVED] AIO gets loud when the CPU is hot

Feb 19, 2022
Hi guys,
I have recently built my PC 4 months ago, and lately i noticed that my AIO makes a loud noise when my CPU hit Above 80°C (when gaming).. after i quit my game, set it on idle then my AIO goes back to quiet (usually when the temp back at 40°C).. is that normal ?
I set my AIO top mounted pushing hot air, just like the msi mpg sekira 500g ads pictures.
Moreover I undervolt my CPU and set my thermal throttle on 85°C otherwise my CPU may goes up to 95°C..

CPU : ryzen 5 5600X
AIO : mag 360R
case : sekira mpg 500g (many says this case cause the heat)
mobo : b550 tomahawk

thank you🙏🙏

Last edited:
Solution
my AIO makes a loud noise

is that normal ?

Yes.

Since your CPU works harder, it also produces more heat. And in turn, your AIO has to work harder: fans spin faster, pump speed goes up, to provide enough cooling for CPU. And with faster rotation speeds, there is louder noise. This is completely normal.

sekira mpg 500g (many says this case cause the heat)

PC case is just a metal box, without any moving components. So, how on earth it alone can produce more heat?

What it can do, with poor ventilation, is to restrict sufficient amount of fresh, cold air to be entered into the case (like the solid front panel it has). That, in turn, makes PC components to heat up faster and results in higher operating temperatures. But...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
my AIO makes a loud noise

is that normal ?

Yes.

Since your CPU works harder, it also produces more heat. And in turn, your AIO has to work harder: fans spin faster, pump speed goes up, to provide enough cooling for CPU. And with faster rotation speeds, there is louder noise. This is completely normal.

sekira mpg 500g (many says this case cause the heat)

PC case is just a metal box, without any moving components. So, how on earth it alone can produce more heat?

What it can do, with poor ventilation, is to restrict sufficient amount of fresh, cold air to be entered into the case (like the solid front panel it has). That, in turn, makes PC components to heat up faster and results in higher operating temperatures. But PC case alone, does not heat up any internal component.

Solution
Feb 19, 2022
Yes.

Actually i forgot to mentioned that I let all my fans spin 100% all the time.. but only when it gets hot that my AIO starts making loud noise..
just wondering, if there is air trapped inside my AIO wouldn't it will make loud noise all the time even when it started ?

It goes above 90C before i undervolt and set the throttle limit to 80C.. i set my fans spin 100% all the time, but only when it gets hot that it makes loud sound
Way too hot for a 5600X, a big cooler like that should handle it with ease. Based on the MSI pictures I assume you've mounted it at the top with the tubes facing down at the front of the case?

Have you checked the pump RPM to see if it's running normally? What are the tube temperatures like? Does it run any better with the side panel off?

Feb 19, 2022
With higher temps, your AIO pump may start to spin faster, increasing the noise.

Trapped air would be heard all the time, regardless the CPU temp.

To be sure, open up your PC case side panel and put your ear to it, to exactly locate from where the loud noise comes from.
But I believe I already set all my fans to spin 100% all the time.. will the pump spin gets even faster..?
btw is it okay if I set my fans spin 100% all the time ?

Feb 19, 2022
Way too hot for a 5600X, a big cooler like that should handle it with ease. Based on the MSI pictures I assume you've mounted it at the top with the tubes facing down at the front of the case?

Have you checked the pump RPM to see if it's running normally? What are the tube temperatures like? Does it run any better with the side panel off?
Yup, with the fans pushing hot air to the radiator..

How do you check the tube temperature?
yes it does run slightly better with side panel opened, but still hit above 85

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AIOs are more dependent on good chassis airflow than air coolers are.
Whether you were to mount the cooler at the front or the top, the design of those panels combined with the radiator itself... you are in practice, stacking 'walls' and making the fans' job harder - harder to bring air in or eject it.

Also, the MAG and MPG coolers are messed up - check this out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_5aGf0G9Q

Skip to 20:50, where Greg takes a MAG apart. There's a QC problem with these things.
I say both MAG and MPG, because the OEM for them is the same company - Apaltek. The MEG should be fine, since it's tried and true Asetek.

Do yourself a favor, @Unagi360 , and just replace the thing. It won't get any better.

EDIT: Forgot momentarily, that the top mount doesn't help either, because the pump is located in the radiator, and thus at the top of the loop, where air should be hanging out. You don't want air in the pump.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022
AIOs are more dependent on good chassis airflow than air coolers are.
Whether you were to mount the cooler at the front or the top, the design of those panels combined with the radiator itself... you are in practice, stacking 'walls' and making the fans' job harder - harder to bring air in or eject it.

Also, the MAG and MPG coolers are messed up - check this out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_5aGf0G9Q

Skip to 20:50, where Greg takes a MAG apart. There's a QC problem with these things.
I say both MAG and MPG, because the OEM for them is the same company - Apaltek. The MEG should be fine, since it's tried and true Asetek.

Do yourself a favor, @Unagi360 , and just replace the thing. It won't get any better.

EDIT: Forgot momentarily, that the top mount doesn't help either, because the pump is located in the radiator, and thus at the top of the loop, where air should be hanging out. You don't want air in the pump.
Thanks.. hhmm so the problem might be the AIO coolant..?? Currently my idle temp is not too hot (at around 40°C) and stays stable, and after i quit my game it cooled back eventually..
but i might try to change the AIO.. any suggestion on AIO that fits my sekira 500g case? Or any 360 AIO will fit the top mount bracket?
what do you think about h150i capellix ?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Give it some more time. The day 1 reviews of these Apaltek-made units have been passable, but the ownership ones haven't been as favorable, usually failing or showing signs of it within a year.

Does it have to be another AIO? Do you have a backup cooler on hand for when the next AIO starts giving you flak?

I'm not a fan of the iCUE and Kraken coolers due to the mandatory software to use them. You might actually like it though.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Does it have to be another AIO?

I'm wondering the same thing, since when comparing AIO vs air cooler; AIOs cost more, have considerably shorter lifespan, while both are still cooled by ambient air.

I'm not a fan of the iCUE and Kraken coolers due to the mandatory software to use them. You might actually like it though.

If OP would like to use iCUE or CAM, but without using AIO, all one needs to do, is buying air cooler and replacing the fans on it, to match the software used. With this, folks can still control their CPU cooler from their preferred software.

Feb 19, 2022
Give it some more time. The day 1 reviews of these Apaltek-made units have been passable, but the ownership ones haven't been as favorable, usually failing or showing signs of it within a year.

Does it have to be another AIO? Do you have a backup cooler on hand for when the next AIO starts giving you flak?

It doesnt have to be AIO, but i thought AIO is better cooling than air cooling ? Especially since my pc case doesnt have good airflow..
stock cpu cooling which i assume may not be good enough..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It doesnt have to be AIO, but i thought AIO is better cooling than air cooling ? Especially since my pc case doesnt have good airflow..
No, they are not outright better. I'd say it's one of those things you don't discover until you've tried 'em both.
The cost is possibly its biggest con. Many users don't realize just how much more expensive these things are - even the 'affordable' ones. The retail price is deceptive.
You need a backup for WHEN - not if - it inevitably fails. The vast majority of manufacturers/OEMs have moved away from making them user serviceable - they're e-waste afterwards. I think only Alphacool still sells serviceable models.
They are not leak-proof, but leak resistant; on the 1 in 10000 chance it does leak, it could take out other hardware with it if you don't catch it in time. People still buy into them knowing that risk - well, I hope they do...

It's because your chassis doesn't have good airflow that I'm suggesting you step back from an AIO specifically for this scenario.
Solid and semi-solid panels yield greater performance penalties on AIOs when ran at lower rpms. They do best when the radiator is placed against open mesh panels.
An air cooler is harder to choke as it sits towards the center of the PC. Its fan(s) thus have more 'breathing room'. The only real obstacle is its own heatsink, which the manufacturer already designed around the fan(s).

If OP would like to use iCUE or CAM, but without using AIO, all one needs to do, is buying air cooler and replacing the fans on it, to match the software used. With this, folks can still control their CPU cooler from their preferred software.
That's just me, as I don't care for having needless software installed. The fewer apps, the smoother the PC runs overall.
I've been using their Vengeance K95 keyboard since 2013, and it doesn't require iCUE for the basic functions, but their recent AIOs do? What is that crap?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The fewer apps, the smoother the PC runs overall.

True.

I've been using their Vengeance K95 keyboard since 2013, and it doesn't require iCUE for the basic functions, but their recent AIOs do? What is that crap?

I'm using Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches and my KB doesn't need iCUE either, to function comfortably. Heck, in the days past, when iCUE was known as just CUE (Corsair Utility Engine), there was (and still is) fan-made CEE (Corsair Effects Engine) that vastly expanded on the light show of what your Corsair KB can do. I ran that many months. Namely because it can display spectogram on KB, which CUE and iCUE are still incapable of doing.

This fancy thing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8QXgzF5vY

And i guess this is where i'll stop derailing the topic. :sweatsmile: Time to go back with matter in hand.

but i thought AIO is better cooling than air cooling

Do you think so because in AIO, there is water circling around and due to that, it has to be better? Well, no.
Like i said before, both the air coolers and AIOs are, in the end, still cooled by ambient air.

For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm. Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers. Single slot rads are good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

Here are the positive sides of both (air and AIO) CPU cooling methods;

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs, including king of AIOs** (NZXT x61 Kraken),
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1
(** - At the time when that article was written, X61 was the best AIO in the market.)

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.