Mar 3, 2019
I recently brought a 240 mm AIO (cooler master ml240r ). i overclocked my i7 8700k to 4.7ghz at 1.28 volts and m getting temperature high as 85 degree c. i dont know whats wrong.I even tried to remove and re apply thermal paste. even changed the mounting position still no luck. please help. i am using msi z370 gaming plus motherboard . and my cabinet is aorus ac300w .i have mounted the radiator in front. at ideal also the temps are in high 30s / low 40s .

Last edited:

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I recently brought a 240 mm AIO (cooler master ml240r ). i overclocked my i7 8700k to 4.7ghz at 1.28 volts and m getting temperature high as 85 degree c. i dont know whats wrong.I even tried to remove and re apply thermal paste. even changed the mounting position still no luck. please help. i am using msi z370 gaming plus motherboard . and my cabinet is aorus ac300w .i have mounted the radiator in front. at ideal also the temps are in high 30s / low 40s .
8700k (my old cpu) normally run really hot even on better AIO so those temps are actually consider as normal

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
Whats the best ghz and at what volts ..can u help?.. currently m running at 4.7ghz at 1.195 volts and my temps are around mid to high 70s..
Those temps are good leave it like that if you want to keep your CPU alive longer, main was on 4.8 but temps was around 85c (voltage i don't remember what was) + you have 240mm AIO main was 360mm kraken x62 so leave it on 4.7 you get good temps with it as long its stable..

Reactions: Reeve

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo I believe on that cpu is 4.7, 4.6, 4.6, 4.5GHz, so technically locking all the cores to 4.7GHz is an overclock. But Intel Always sets stock voltages far higher than is necessary. Not every cpu responds the same, all are different, so Intel sets voltages to cover Every cpu, no matter what its actual needs are. If your cpu requires 1.10v, someone else's might run 1.18v or 1.08v, so Intel sets 1.25v just in case.

Meaning, you could leave everything at stock settings, lock the multiplier and most probably still be good.

OC isn't getting faster speeds on all cores, it's getting the best performance for the best temps at the best voltages.

The stock setting on my i5-3570k is @ 1.25v at 3.7GHz turbo. I ran it at 1.14v at 4.3GHz locked core. Temps compared to stock went down over 15°C by overclocking the cpu and lowering voltages. My i7-3770K stock was @ 1.25v turbo 3.8GHz. OC was 1.32v locked core 4.9GHz. Only a small bump in voltage for a 1.1GHz all core OC.

You do not necessarily have to add voltages with OC. What you should be doing is testing to see how low you can get voltages, while remaining stable. That's the reason for LLC, disable some c-states, disable phase controllers etc.

If you want to successfully OC and get the best from the cpu, you need to research OC and how to do it correctly, tips, tweaks, do's and don't's, what does work, what doesn't work etc for both your motherboard and that cpu. OC is OC, it's the same theory, doesn't matter if it's msi or gigabyte or asus, it's all the same, just name changes. Asus might call it vcore, Msi call it cpu voltage, same thing. Research everything, read everything, watch everything.

Then OC.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Turbo I believe on that cpu is 4.7, 4.6, 4.6, 4.5GHz, so technically locking all the cores to 4.7GHz is an overclock. But Intel Always sets stock voltages far higher than is necessary. Not every cpu responds the same, all are different, so Intel sets voltages to cover Every cpu, no matter what its actual needs are. If your cpu requires 1.10v, someone else's might run 1.18v or 1.08v, so Intel sets 1.25v just in case.

Meaning, you could leave everything at stock settings, lock the multiplier and most probably still be good.

OC isn't getting faster speeds on all cores, it's getting the best performance for the best temps at the best voltages.

The stock setting on my i5-3570k is @ 1.25v at 3.7GHz turbo. I ran it at 1.14v at 4.3GHz locked core. Temps compared to stock went down over 15°C by overclocking the cpu and lowering voltages. My i7-3770K stock was @ 1.25v turbo 3.8GHz. OC was 1.32v locked core 4.9GHz. Only a small bump in voltage for a 1.1GHz all core OC.

You do not necessarily have to add voltages with OC. What you should be doing is testing to see how low you can get voltages, while remaining stable. That's the reason for LLC, disable some c-states, disable phase controllers etc.
Very well explained!...thanks a lot