[SOLVED] AIO Gurgling after shutdown

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello,

I recently build a completey new custom PC and have/had many problems. But to start somewhere here my noise problem with my aio.

All parts in my PC are new expect the AIO (NZXT Kraken X62) which was always installed as a push outtake on the top of my case.
Now with my O11 Dynamic Mini the radiator is installed at the side with tubes up. Because I heard the pump a little bit and some gurgling I flipped it with tubes down like Steve from GN recommanded.

Now the pump is even more gurgling. I thought because air bubbles are trapped in the pump, but now the funny thing:
When I do a CPU stressful task for 15min it becomes quiet for the howl session even in idle. When I let it cool down completely (Water Temp under 40°C) e.g. shut down for 1h it starts again gurgling.
My radiator should be placed correctly (see picture) the highest point of the loop is the radiator.

Could anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

TL;DR
Pump is gurgling only if completly cooled down (Watertemp under 40°C). See Installation picture.

ISMRZxp.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Bear in mind moving the radiator to the top is only a temporary fix, the pump will fail after a year or two once air gets into the system, so I would not spend money on fans for something that might only last a year.

Better to buy a good air cooler instead IMO, some of them are just as good as your AIO these days.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The tubes have likely expanded over time and the AIO now has air in the system and should be bled and topped up with coolant. This is often difficult or impossible to do on AIO units. I've not tried to do it on an NZXT unit admittedly.

One solution might be to move the radiator to the front or ideally the roof of the case so that the pump sits below the tubes and the radiator, that way the air collects in the radiator not the pump or the tubes. Not ideal but a lot less annoying.

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
move the radiator to the front or ideally the roof of the case
Unfortunately, I have a full size ATX Board so that the O11D Mini can not fit a radiator at the top. On the front there is a glass panel.

air in the system
Yes, I am pretty sure there is air in the loop that's why I place the tubes at the bottom and the radiator highest point over the pump so the air traps in the radiator. And I think it does until the water cools down below ~39°C than the air travels back to the pump somehow (I really can not imagine how).

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Bear in mind moving the radiator to the top is only a temporary fix, the pump will fail after a year or two once air gets into the system, so I would not spend money on fans for something that might only last a year.

Better to buy a good air cooler instead IMO, some of them are just as good as your AIO these days.

Solution