[SOLVED] AIO liquid temprature - is it normal?

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all,

I'm running a 5950x CPU cooled with a 2 year old NZXT x62 (280mm with 140mm fans). Let me list PC specs:

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
CPU: 5950x
Cooler: NZXT x62 (280mm with 140mm fans)
GPU: Red Devil 6900 XT
Fan setup: 3x bottom and 3x side QL 120 intake running at 1000 rpm, 1 QL 120 rear as exhaust (1140 rpm), AIO mounted on top as exhaust, usually running at around 1200 rpm fan speed and 2700 rpm pump (100%).

I get decent idle tempratures (33 - 37 C die average, 40-45 C Tctl/Tdie) and coolant temp around 30-34 C, ambient temp is around 24 C.

Under load, CPU can get somewhat hot (70-80 C) while running benchmarks, I have PBO enabled with limits of 185 PPT, 135 TDC and 150 EDC with curve optimizer per core ranging from -10 (good cores) to -25.
While playing demanding games (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Doom eternal) CPU temp sits at around 70-78 C whereas on less demanding games it stays cool at 58 - 67 C.

In almost all (gaming) cases though, liquid temps rise to around 40 C pretty easily, and on the more demanding games (Cyberpunk) can peak at 45 C (that's the max I've seen).
I'm suspecting that the when the GPU gets hot, it dumps hot air that travels through the AIO radiator contributing to the high liquid temps.

My question to all you good people is, do you think such high coolant temp (as well as high CPU peak temp) is reasonable with this setup? I've reapplied thermal paste and re-seated the pump, I don't think I could have done something better there.
Could it be that AIO cooler is no longer performing as expected due to wear and tear over the past two years (I know those things have a 6y warranty though). Should I be worried about my setup?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post.

Solution
My question to all you good people is, do you think such high coolant temp (as well as high CPU peak temp) is reasonable with this setup?
Yes.

"I'm suspecting that the when the GPU gets hot, it dumps hot air that travels through the AIO radiator contributing to the high liquid temps."
Aye, that's correct.

"I don't think I could have done something better there."
There's no cooling headroom with the Corsair QL fans. They stepped up the bling with them, but threw performance out the window to do it.

"Could it be that AIO cooler is no longer performing as expected due to wear and tear over the past two years?"
They 'age', and the loop isn't serviceable.
Fluid volume slowly decreases over the years, plus the corrosion inhibitor...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My question to all you good people is, do you think such high coolant temp (as well as high CPU peak temp) is reasonable with this setup?
Yes.

"I'm suspecting that the when the GPU gets hot, it dumps hot air that travels through the AIO radiator contributing to the high liquid temps."
Aye, that's correct.

"I don't think I could have done something better there."
There's no cooling headroom with the Corsair QL fans. They stepped up the bling with them, but threw performance out the window to do it.

"Could it be that AIO cooler is no longer performing as expected due to wear and tear over the past two years?"
They 'age', and the loop isn't serviceable.
Fluid volume slowly decreases over the years, plus the corrosion inhibitor and biocide in the fluid expire after a few years(+/-).

"Should I be worried about my setup?"
Not really, no.

Solution

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Thanks @Phaaze88 , appreciate your response.
In fact, I removed the dust filter from top exhaust and this alone further decresed water temp by 1-2 C.
I really wanted to move to full custom cooling, however I'm a bit reluctunt to waterblock my GPU, as I haven't done it before (or water cooling).
I'll stop worrying then and just enjoy my rig :)