Question AIO or Not? Suggestions please.

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
I just purchased the following components for my build.

Ryzen 9 3900x
X570 AORUS ELITE
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB - 3600 Mhz CAS 16
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ Gold
RTX 2080 Super
Thermaltake Thermaltake Core P3

I know Ryzen 9 comes with its prism cooler, is it sufficient? No i wont be overclocking at all and not doing 5 hours of benchmarking crap, i do stream on twitch and play some light weight games. I would like to keep the NOISE level to bare minimum so that is why i am concerned about the prism cooler.

As you can see my case is OPEN AIR. If the cpu is going to idle at high and the prism is loud, i will be annoyed since my mic will capture the fan noise. I am willing to invest in a cooler that is stylish for my case and is very quite and reliable.

Again im not going to OC this, i just want cooler temps and quite performance. I did look at this deal on amazon:
DEEPCOOL Castle 360 RGB for $159.

I havnt heard this name brand and not sure how legit this is. Compared to the other 360mm coolers this seems half price. Any comments?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I am not sure about that particular cooler , however often one does get what one pays for, so if its half the price as a manufacture you recognize, perhaps there is a good reason for that, just a thought ..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only a few OEMs who actually manufacture AIO's, so pretty much they are much the same, especially the radiators, the pumps might have certain tweaks or additions, but asetek or coolit are the most common. Deepcool is quite a well known budget offering and does have some excellent aircoolers like the Gammax 400, but it's AIO's are somewhat lackluster.

The main differences will not be in the AIO itself, but in the fans. The CoolerMaster ML360R (recommend above) is about as good as it gets for rgb fans and at 360mm won't have any issues with heat at moderate usage. This will keep fan speeds low, with corresponding noise levels. Other similar coolers won't be much different overall even at higher pricing.

A 360mm aio is aesthetically the best fit on that P3, filling up the odd area on the side and avoiding confrontation with the vertical gpu. I'd not go with the large, quieter aircoolers like a Noctua NH-D15/S or beQuiet Darkrock Pro 4/TF for that reason alone.

Reactions: RodroX

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
There's only a few OEMs who actually manufacture AIO's, so pretty much they are much the same, especially the radiators, the pumps might have certain tweaks or additions, but asetek or coolit are the most common. Deepcool is quite a well known budget offering and does have some excellent aircoolers like the Gammax 400, but it's AIO's are somewhat lackluster.

The main differences will not be in the AIO itself, but in the fans. The CoolerMaster ML360R (recommend above) is about as good as it gets for rgb fans and at 360mm won't have any issues with heat at moderate usage. This will keep fan speeds low, with corresponding noise levels. Other similar coolers won't be much different overall even at higher pricing.

A 360mm aio is aesthetically the best fit on that P3, filling up the odd area on the side and avoiding confrontation with the vertical gpu. I'd not go with the large, quieter aircoolers like a Noctua NH-D15/S or beQuiet Darkrock Pro 4/TF for that reason alone.

Thanks, I also think the 360 size would look great. Are you able to list a few names of AIO's that are similar? As I said I found the deepcool one that's quite cheap but can't make of the quality. Any names would be helpful, hopefully a bit on the cheaper side if possible!😁

How good do you really need to be?

My suggestion is to try the included cooler and see how you do.

If you are not satisfied, you can change out the cooler.
If noise might be an issue for you, look at the noctua NH-D15s, about $80.
It cools about as well as 240mm aio coolers but will be quieter.

I just purchased the following components for my build.

Ryzen 9 3900x
X570 AORUS ELITE
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB - 3600 Mhz CAS 16
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ Gold
RTX 2080 Super
Thermaltake Thermaltake Core P3

I know Ryzen 9 comes with its prism cooler, is it sufficient? No i wont be overclocking at all and not doing 5 hours of benchmarking crap, i do stream on twitch and play some light weight games. I would like to keep the NOISE level to bare minimum so that is why i am concerned about the prism cooler. Up

As you can see my case is OPEN AIR. If the cpu is going to idle at high and the prism is loud, i will be annoyed since my mic will capture the fan noise. I am willing to invest in a cooler that is stylish for my case and is very quite and reliable.

Again im not going to OC this, i just want cooler temps and quite performance. I did look at this deal on amazon:
DEEPCOOL Castle 360 RGB for $159.

I havnt heard this name brand and not sure how legit this is. Compared to the other 360mm coolers this seems half price. Any comments?
The deepcool series is out of china. For years they had a very high failure rate of their water pumps. They leaked due to over pressurization when the coolant got hot.

They claimed they fixed it with a new rubber expansion bladder, similar to what you would put on a hot water tank. And the jury is still out. Only time will tell.

Now for your grilling.

Why do you expect an open bench to be silent, especially with high cpu (and likely high gpu) utilization on a high power system? Just about all power gets dumped as heat eventually. One of the most efficient electric heaters is silicon. And disapating that heat takes fresh cool air from fans. Aios just disappate that energy over a larger surface so the fans don't have to run as fast.

I don't think you thought this through. Yes AIOs are quieter. Some are better than others. But putting it on an open bench was one of the worst choices.

If noise is your primary concern put it in a be quiet case and use something like an arrow cooler with noctua fans or a quality 360 rad with noctua fans. Btw: your noisiest component will likely be the video card. It has to disapate far more heat than your cpu when playing games.

The best you can do for an open bench is get a quality directional cardoid mic like a yeti, and pray for the best.

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
still under 200$ isn't bad for that I wouldn't say, In my personal opinion Id buy from a company I knew and trusted, coolermaster is well known (now im not saying there the best or even better than deepcool) but myself Id sooner buy the coolermaster because its a name I know and Ive used there products before without any issue or regret, you could go cheaper, and hopefully like mentioned above you dont get a pump failure that could kill the whole system, or worse a leak wich would for sure kill system, this is the main reason Ive never liquid cooled (not that my PC is good enough to liquid cool) but the leaks scare me and the fact if that pump fails you may not know in time.. I could be wrong though..

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
The deepcool series is out of china. For years they had a very high failure rate of their water pumps. They leaked due to over pressurization when the coolant got hot.

They claimed they fixed it with a new rubber expansion bladder, similar to what you would put on a hot water tank. And the jury is still out. Only time will tell.

Now for your grilling.

Why do you expect an open bench to be silent, especially with high cpu (and likely high gpu) utilization on a high power system? Just about all power gets dumped as heat eventually. One of the most efficient electric heaters is silicon. And disapating that heat takes fresh cool air from fans. Aios just disappate that energy over a larger surface so the fans don't have to run as fast.

I don't think you thought this through. Yes AIOs are quieter. Some are better than others. But putting it on an open bench was one of the worst choices.

If noise is your primary concern put it in a be quiet case and use something like an arrow cooler with noctua fans or a quality 360 rad with noctua fans. Btw: your noisiest component will likely be the video card. It has to disapate far more heat than your cpu when playing games.

The best you can do for an open bench is get a quality directional cardoid mic like a yeti, and pray for the best.

Maybe i can grill you a bit to medium roast lol. If you read my initial post i clearly stated i will be playing light weight games that are not cpu intensive. I also do not use computers for any benchmark or programs that would stress the cpu to its max, that is IF you can stress a 24 core with home applications.

Now, i do know how thermodynamics work, i have a degree in engineering. The reason for that open case is aesthetics. I will be wall mounting it behind my monitors. I do have a mic which is cardoid, BlueYetti Pro to be exact. Yes i understand that open case IS louder than any closed case, but as i mentioned, this is going on the wall and only option i could do it with.

My understanding is if i can get about with a slightly over kill AIO like 360mm, i can keep the fans on lowest setting or close to that which emits least amount of noise. This is exactly why i asked which brand can i go which has "silent" like fans. I remember my H80i had fans that sounded like Boeing 737 jet fans. I really dont want those again.

From my understanding, there are two fan types, static and airflow? With this case is there an option or are all AIO's coming with static fans? Any difference between noise levels of those two kinds?

I 100% agree with you on gpu noise. I was planing to go with some hybrid version of 2070 Super when available. Some thing like this:

https://www.newegg.ca/evga-geforce-...sWo3ZnzPUT9C8TRaifgvrq3OmVrLizLBoCAsMQAvD_BwE

Im not sure how loud or quite this would be compared to standard 3 fan design card. Would appreciate further input.

On the AIO, i found this to be quite reasonable with $150 CAD. Any one has any idea about this brand and its noise?

https://www.amazon.ca/Liqfusion-Add...max+liqfusion&qid=1566933015&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks again :)

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
if you really want silent why not do custom loop and have GPU and CPU liquid cooled.. just a thought, you seem to have such a nice setup to just put some cheapo liquid cooler in seems odd to me.. of course money is often an issue.. but you might wanna invest in a really cool hard lined setup that seem so popular today and they do look so cool. If my PC was aws nice as yours, I personly would make that investment

Reactions: DMAN999

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
can find them on Newegg as well, everything you need to do a custom loop, the tubes etc.. and many video's online on how to bend them etc.. it doesn't look overly hard, but im sure it could take some practice to get perfect say 90° bends etc.. but I have watched many and have bent other plastic tubes, pretty simple to do, the hardest part is not crimping the tube where you bend it, but they come with a thing you put in tube that helps hold its shape when you bend them.. I personally (if I had a machine like your) Id do it.. and good thing about hard lined is you can clean them , unlike the AIO I would assume cannot be , so if the fins on the block clog, its done,, on a hard lined I see online all the time , they take block off and apart and just clean the fins out and presto good as new, as well if something breaks such as pump or whatever parts could break, on hard lined you can buy anew one and replace it, I have been told the AIO ones , if the pump fails, the whole things garbage as you cannot replace parts, so that might be something to consider as well,

Maybe i can grill you a bit to medium roast lol. If you read my initial post i clearly stated i will be playing light weight games that are not cpu intensive. I also do not use computers for any benchmark or programs that would stress the cpu to its max, that is IF you can stress a 24 core with home applications.

Now, i do know how thermodynamics work, i have a degree in engineering. The reason for that open case is aesthetics. I will be wall mounting it behind my monitors. I do have a mic which is cardoid, BlueYetti Pro to be exact. Yes i understand that open case IS louder than any closed case, but as i mentioned, this is going on the wall and only option i could do it with.

My understanding is if i can get about with a slightly over kill AIO like 360mm, i can keep the fans on lowest setting or close to that which emits least amount of noise. This is exactly why i asked which brand can i go which has "silent" like fans. I remember my H80i had fans that sounded like Boeing 737 jet fans. I really dont want those again.

From my understanding, there are two fan types, static and airflow? With this case is there an option or are all AIO's coming with static fans? Any difference between noise levels of those two kinds?

I 100% agree with you on gpu noise. I was planing to go with some hybrid version of 2070 Super when available. Some thing like this:

https://www.newegg.ca/evga-geforce-...sWo3ZnzPUT9C8TRaifgvrq3OmVrLizLBoCAsMQAvD_BwE

Im not sure how loud or quite this would be compared to standard 3 fan design card. Would appreciate further input.

On the AIO, i found this to be quite reasonable with $150 CAD. Any one has any idea about this brand and its noise?

https://www.amazon.ca/Liqfusion-Addressable-Exclusive-Waterblock-ELC-LF360-RGB/dp/B07N6ZX438/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=CjwKCAjwqZPrBRBnEiwAmNJsNlHs5gEEL-uE3ML2fN3L27cPfv6G-rmOATldmj2deTd0vKgxKGP3RxoC8sUQAvD_BwE&hvadid=281422221521&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000144&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5792615800976923072&hvtargid=aud-749198100220:kwd-454624879098&hydadcr=24947_10283300&keywords=enermax+liqfusion&qid=1566933015&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks again :)

I have a degree in engineering too. Small world. :) I also work with fans,coils and thermodynamics (seriously).

Static pressure fans promote pressure over airflow. They are useful in situations where you have some sort of interference like a filter or radiator. The secret to the design is the blades have a low pitch, long airfoil cord, which overlap somewhat.

Airflow design fans have a high pitch. The problem with high air flow is your pressure drops P1 = P0 + 1/2pV*V (Bernoulli's < .3M) So air loses pressure as it moves faster meaning when it encounters resistance, it's likely to slow down.

Many factors contribute to fan noise. From harmonics, to bearing type, to fan speed. One needs to look at a fan curve graph to determine the best fan for a given application. That said, mag lev bearing, and double ball bearing fans tend to be the quietest. Fan blades with ribs, or feathered edges are designed to break up harmonics. To be honest just about all AIO's perform about the same. The secret it in how well the fan works for a given speed and it's ultimate top speed. Problem is doubling air speed means doubling of power (Exponential problem) Fd = Cd * A *( V1/V0) ^ 2

Some of the best fans out there are Noctua. Bust obviously aesthetics are important to you. So my next recommendation is Corsair with their Mag Lev bearings. You can get a generic radiator and then use Corsair fans. You'll have to pay through the nose for Corsair fans + RGB controller though.

Reactions: DMAN999

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
I have a degree in engineering too. Small world. :) I also work with fans,coils and thermodynamics (seriously).

Static pressure fans promote pressure over airflow. They are useful in situations where you have some sort of interference like a filter or radiator. The secret to the design is the blades have a low pitch, long airfoil cord, which overlap somewhat.

Airflow design fans have a high pitch. The problem with high air flow is your pressure drops P1 = P0 + 1/2pV*V (Bernoulli's < .3M) So air loses pressure as it moves faster meaning when it encounters resistance, it's likely to slow down.

Many factors contribute to fan noise. From harmonics, to bearing type, to fan speed. One needs to look at a fan curve graph to determine the best fan for a given application. That said, mag lev bearing, and double ball bearing fans tend to be the quietest. Fan blades with ribs, or feathered edges are designed to break up harmonics. To be honest just about all AIO's perform about the same. The secret it in how well the fan works for a given speed and it's ultimate top speed. Problem is doubling air speed means doubling of power (Exponential problem) Fd = Cd * A *( V1/V0) ^ 2

Some of the best fans out there are Noctua. Bust obviously aesthetics are important to you. So my next recommendation is Corsair with their Mag Lev bearings. You can get a generic radiator and then use Corsair fans. You'll have to pay through the nose for Corsair fans + RGB controller though.

Small world and i like the passive humor with your formulas lol. I figured the static pressure fans work for restricted airflow, just didn't know the difference in noise levels. So to summarize what you write, get the AIO that has mag lev's from corsair.

With custom loop, ehhh... who wouldn't want it? Yes money is truly an issue at the moment, buying all the components pretty much brings me down to zero to spend more. I guess i can use the prism cooler and if its not too horrible i can use it until save up for water loop? Or if it is that bad go with corsair mag lev AIO?

Thanks again.

Reactions: RodroX and DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I definitely think a custom loop would be the best looking option for you when your budget allows.
But since you are not going to OC and are on a tight budget, I would definitely try the stock cooler first.
Then if it doesn't measure up to your set standards you can save up for a good AIO or custom loop.

It's a tough spot your in. One of the bigger values is the Corsair Master Liquid Lite 240mm AIO (Check reviews). However the fans are horridly noisy with sleeve bearings. You could replace them with Corsair fans + RGB controller. But they cost as much as the entirety of the AIO itself.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I didn't like the ML240L much when I tested and reviewed it. It was rather mediocre and I wasn't all that impressed. The ML240R is a better performer as is the Corsair H100i Pro.

Otherwise, a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro or Noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15 would be very solid air cooler choices.

I'm firmly in the camp of custom watercooling, and yes, it gets very expensive, very quickly. However, it is a lot of fun, looks great and worth it if you really like that kind of thing.

Reactions: j3ster and DMAN999
I didn't like the ML240L much when I tested and reviewed it. It was rather mediocre and I wasn't all that impressed. The ML240R is a better performer as is the Corsair H100i Pro.

Otherwise, a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro or Noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15 would be very solid air cooler choices.

I'm firmly in the camp of custom watercooling, and yes, it gets very expensive, very quickly. However, it is a lot of fun, looks great and worth it if you really like that kind of thing.

Part of the problem was the cheap fans. If he replaced the fans he might be in better shape. But you have to admit, the price to Performance ratio at $54 for a 240mm AIO is pretty darn good.

And yes custom open loops are expensive. It does look pretty if you bend PETG hard tube. But it takes some time, money, planning, tools, and practice. So if this is a temporary solution a cheap AIO with quality fans might be the way to go. At least he can reuse the fans when he goes open loop.