[SOLVED] AIO Pump header/fans

elitedarkzero

Honorable
Mar 3, 2014
So I have a few questions, I am planning my very first PC build and I have done a mountain of research on how everything works, aside from a few more experience based things that I would like to know.

Can you connect a 3 pin AIO into a 4 pin header? (Deepcool cap 360ex)I have found a couple things suggesting that you can with the kraken x62 but I am still not 100% on this.

Can I Daisy chain fans together and put them on 1 RGB header? (3-6 fans) or will I need to get a controller? there are a total of 6 fans, 3 for the AIO and 3 top mounted. (boralite Dig fans)

Solution
Most AIOs don't need pump speed adjustment, they are supposed to run full speed. That's why modern MBs have one 3 pin AIO_PUMP header which is not speed adjustable. On the ather hand, many MBs also have W-PUMP header which is 4 pin and is speed adjustable. That's used by custom coolers and are adjustable because custom coolers usually have pumps much higher capacity (and stronger motors) that minimum needed.
When i had a corsair h60 2018 it had a 3 pin connector for the pump it will work but you cant controll it. The pump will work at full rpm. For the fans it depends on the fans. Corsair rgb fans wont work without a separate controller. My coolermaster fans work with a rgb splitter to a single rgb header right now i have 3 fans on a single header. But anyway i dont think 6 fans will work in one.

elitedarkzero

Honorable
Mar 3, 2014
hmm... sounds like it may be a good idea just to pick up a controller either way tbh, 6 fans total 3 of them will be replacing the ones on the AIO, I wouldn't want to wear the pump out just having it run constantly.

Most AIOs don't need pump speed adjustment, they are supposed to run full speed. That's why modern MBs have one 3 pin AIO_PUMP header which is not speed adjustable. On the ather hand, many MBs also have W-PUMP header which is 4 pin and is speed adjustable. That's used by custom coolers and are adjustable because custom coolers usually have pumps much higher capacity (and stronger motors) that minimum needed.

Solution