Question AIO Pump turns on but doesn't pump ?

May 15, 2022
Good day! I've recently changed my CPU over from an i5-8600k to an i9-900k and found that on re-connecting my cooler it doesn't pump water. The little block still lights up and I've checked and double checked to make sure the connectors I'm connecting it to work, but something seems to have gone wrong. I ended up replacing the original cooler master pump for another but it has the exact same issue making me think this isn't a pump issue but instead something wrong with my system.

Any help will be appreciated as am at a complete loss.

CPU: I9900k
Mobo: Z370 gaming plus.
Gpu: 3080.
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
Cooler: Coolermaster liquid Lite 240

Last edited:

Matthew44

Prominent
Apr 28, 2022
It could be a problem with the port your using on the motherboard. is there an aio_pump connector available? if it already is connected to that header, try unplugging it and connecting it to a different header. Hope this helps! :)

May 15, 2022
It could be a problem with the port your using on the motherboard. is there an aio_pump connector available? if it already is connected to that header, try unplugging it and connecting it to a different header. Hope this helps! :)

Hia, I swapped to different ports but it still doesn't work sadly. There isn't an AIO_pump connector. Thanks for you attempt to help though!

Matthew44

Prominent
Apr 28, 2022
Hia, I swapped to different ports but it still doesn't work sadly. There isn't an AIO_pump connector. Thanks for you attempt to help though!

im thinking it could be a voltage problem with the psu, which probably wouldnt be the case, if that doesnt work it might be the way the motherboard fan ports have been set up in the bios due to the cpu being changed. Hope this solution is helpful! :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Plug the FANS for the rad into your CPU_FAN header. Plug the PUMP (3-pin connector) into the PUMP_FAN1 header at upper front on the mobo. Go into BIOS Setup (Manual p. 39) and choose Hardware Monitor (p. 63). You can choose which fan header to configure at upper right. For BOTH the CPU_FAN and PUMP_FAN1 headers, at upper left be sure they are set to PWM Mode, not DC. After making changes, use F10 to pop up an exit menu and SAVE and Exit to reboot with your settings. The pump uses a small wiring quirk, so setting this way will ensure that your 4-pin rad fans will have their speed controlled according to the CPU temperature, but the 3-pin PUMP will always run full speed as it is designed to do.

When your system is running,and warmed up, take off the side panel and carefully reach in to feel the hoses between the pump and the rad. At each end ONE hose should feel warmer than the other, but not hot. If they are equally warm at the pump and equally cool at the rad, that would indicate no flow of liquid and a failed pump. Or POSSIBLY an air bubble trapped in the pump. IF there was air in your system before it might have been trapped in a harmless location, but the process of removing and re-mounting the pump for the CPU replacement may have caused it to move. If you suspect that, try calling CoolerMaster Tech Support for how to move an air bubble OR how to get a replacement for a system that has lost its liquid fill.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So seemingly out of nowhere the pump just started working. 😅 I'm really not sure why, but thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Probably just had an air bubble trapped in there. Usually my first suggestion to people with AIO problems is to give the whole PC as much rotation in several directions as possible, shake the bubbles loose.

Repeated stop starts will also work.

Reactions: LukasPc