Question AIO question... Kinda dumb and easy answer hopefully

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I'm going to get either a 360mm aio for my CPU and mount it in the "side"/front of the lian li pc011 dynamic, or a 240mm aio for the CPU and then a 120mm hybrid all for my evga rtx 2080...
Question is, if I do the 240 aio for the CPU, and the 120mm aio for the GPU, can they be both mounted in the "side"/front? If they can, is it ok to mount an aio "upside down" (the tubes in/out going into the radiator being at the bottom)?

with aios, orientation doesn't matter.
i dont know about actually putting a 120 and a 240 in a 360 slot... it might work.. but like, it might not.

I would suggest trying
worst case scenario just put it in the rear or the top

also, evga has nice robust coolers. a 120mm wont perform much better.

Reactions: sobakowa19

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
You don't think an aio on that card would help much? I haven't seen any examples or tests of that cards stock temps vs temps with the hybrid aio... I also thought kinda that cooling the CPU with liquid and removing that heat from the case would help temps on the GPU as well.
It's so hard to fully "test" this without spending a couple hundred bucks because nobody has the setup I do... It's a ryzen 5 2600 on a asus b450 mb, an evga rtx 2080 xc, 16gb of 3400mhz ram (corsair rgb pro)... It's an odd setup for the case I have it in currently which is a budget phanteks ph ec300 (which is really small and kinda crappy for airflow anyway).
I am getting the lian li in the mail Sunday and am transferring to it... I ordered 6 fans in addition to the 3 I currently have so 9 in total ha which I want to put in there and see thermals... Based on those results maybe get the aio's?
My room gets hot, not where anything thermal throttles watching msi afterburner/hardware info (I've ran numerous benchmarks/stress tests to make sure my over clocks are stable) but living in south Mississippi where its like 110 degrees outside and the humidity is killer. My house thermostat stays at 74 but my room gets to 79 because frankly it's a * house.
What do you think?

You don't think an aio on that card would help much? I haven't seen any examples or tests of that cards stock temps vs temps with the hybrid aio... I also thought kinda that cooling the CPU with liquid and removing that heat from the case would help temps on the GPU as well.
It's so hard to fully "test" this without spending a couple hundred bucks because nobody has the setup I do... It's a ryzen 5 2600 on a asus b450 mb, an evga rtx 2080 xc, 16gb of 3400mhz ram (corsair rgb pro)... It's an odd setup for the case I have it in currently which is a budget phanteks ph ec300 (which is really small and kinda crappy for airflow anyway).
I am getting the lian li in the mail Sunday and am transferring to it... I ordered 6 fans in addition to the 3 I currently have so 9 in total ha which I want to put in there and see thermals... Based on those results maybe get the aio's?
My room gets hot, not where anything thermal throttles watching msi afterburner/hardware info (I've ran numerous benchmarks/stress tests to make sure my over clocks are stable) but living in south Mississippi where its like 110 degrees outside and the humidity is killer. My house thermostat stays at 74 but my room gets to 79 because frankly it's a * house.
What do you think?
honestly
aio water coolers dont perform better at all than good normal air coolers.
a 360mm aio will be a couple degrees short of a big noctua cooler, while costing 1.5X and having more failure points. aios are good for looks and looks only. and case compatability of course as a 120mm aio will perform much better than a bad air cooler for the same price.
basically, the difference between a 120mm and a 360mm is smaller than the difference between a giant air cooler and a stock one. but thats off topic.

if you put a 120mm on the gpu it might cool it more but by a few degrees.
but getting a better overclock on it... I doubt you will. on rtx cards its mostly the voltage into the card limiting overclocks, not the temps as rtx cards are actually pretty cool. (see what I did there?)

so
if you ask me
360mm all the way
and the card will be fine alone.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, the only one that makes any sense to apply liquid cooling to in your build is the RTX 2080.
The Ryzen 2600 does not draw that much power - you wouldn't see any real benefit putting an AIO on this.
The benefits for that 2080 is huge though. It draws over 3x more power than the Ryzen 2600.
Stick with the hybrid gpu if you want, but save some money and slap an air cooler on the cpu.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Cool, thanks for the input... I appreciate any opinion. The 2600 has the wraith spire rgb cooler on it (the better one, my buddy got a ryzen 7 3700x about 6 months ago and gave me the cooler cause he made a custom loop in his pc) so honestly the CPU never has gotten over 76 on 4.2ghz lol... So its not the cpu's "fault" for the heat, more the GPU

Last edited:

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Ok, the only one that makes any sense to apply liquid cooling to in your build is the RTX 2080.
The Ryzen 2600 does not draw that much power - you wouldn't see any real benefit putting an AIO on this.
The benefits for that 2080 is huge though. It draws over 3x more power than the Ryzen 2600.
Stick with the hybrid gpu if you want, but save some money and slap an air cooler on the cpu.
Hey, if youre still paying attention to this thread, is there a problem with mounting the GPU aio in the bottom of the case? (Theres ample room to do so)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hey, if youre still paying attention to this thread, is there a problem with mounting the GPU aio in the bottom of the case? (Theres ample room to do so)
Problem? like what exactly? This is the card you had in mind, right?
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($639.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $639.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-10 14:40 EDT-0400

Oh! By bottom of the case, did you mean the X4 slot? If you were using a lower power card like a 1050/1650, I'd say it's no big deal.
But for a high power card like the 2080, I wouldn't recommend doing it.
While the card wouldn't use all the bandwith available on the pcie x 16 slot, those are the only slots that supply the full 75w from the motherboard. It would run slightly slower on the X4.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Problem? like what exactly? This is the card you had in mind, right?
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($639.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $639.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-10 14:40 EDT-0400

Oh! By bottom of the case, did you mean the X4 slot? If you were using a lower power card like a 1050/1650, I'd say it's no big deal.
But for a high power card like the 2080, I wouldn't recommend doing it.
While the card wouldn't use all the bandwith available on the pcie x 16 slot, those are the only slots that supply the full 75w from the motherboard. It would run slightly slower on the X4.
Yeah thats the card... I know the first pcie slot is thex16 so yeah I'm not talking about mounting the card at the bottom of the pc 011 dynamic... I'm curious about mounting a radiator in the bottom of that case lol.
Thanks for the feedback

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No problem.

Some people would tell you not to, because of dust(understandable), but I say mounting a rad at the bottom is fine, as long as the case isn't sitting on the floor... because that's where dust eventually settles, aside from furniture and other things.

Well your CPU consumes less power than your GPU. If I were to put a 240 and a 120 in there the 240 to the GPU for sure.

No a 120 will not fit directly over a 240 in a 360 slot. The radiators themselves are a bit longer than 240 and 120 due to the radiators caps. This longer than 360 total.

Orientation doesn't matter. They are filled to the brim at the factory so there should be no air in there.

As someone mentioned water doesn't do much better than air. Linus did a video on this and he's right.

However water is quieter and has better overclocking headroom and can hand quick surges a tiny bit better.

Do not get an open loop system and use one radiator to cool it all. I would use two 240s and be done with it.

I'm debating doing this for my 5700xt not because it will run a metric ton faster but because I want to extend its usable life. If it gives me two additional years before component failure, it would almost pay for itself while running quieter and cooler. So a 4 year shelf life on air extended to 6 years on water would give me a savings of about $200. That's the cost of the loop right there.

However there seems to be a real problem for many after market people with cooling memory. (Evga included). If I have to go full open loop water block that budget gets blown out of the water. I'm looking at $300 then if I'm lucky. And full block might be the only solution as thermal glue + heatsink are failing many.

Last edited:

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Well your CPU consumes less power than your GPU. If I were to put a 240 and a 120 in there the 240 to the GPU for sure.

No a 120 will not fit directly over a 240 in a 360 slot. The radiators themselves are a bit longer than 240 and 120 due to the radiators caps. This longer than 360 total.

Orientation doesn't matter. They are filled to the brim at the factory so there should be no air in there.

As someone mentioned water doesn't do much better than air. Linus did a video on this and he's right.

However water is quieter and has better overclocking headroom and can hand quick surges a tiny bit better.

Do not get an open loop system and use one radiator to cool it all. I would use two 240s and be done with it.

I'm debating doing this for my 5700xt not because it will run a metric ton faster but because I want to extend its usable life. If it gives me two additional years before component failure, it would almost pay for itself while running quieter and cooler. So a 4 year shelf life on air extended to 6 years on water would give me a savings of about $200. That's the cost of the loop right there.

However there seems to be a real problem for many after market people with cooling memory. (Evga included). If I have to go full open loop water block that budget gets blown out of the water. I'm looking at $300 then if I'm lucky. And full block might be the only solution as thermal glue + heatsink are failing many.
Thanks for the feedback

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
No problem.

Some people would tell you not to, because of dust(understandable), but I say mounting a rad at the bottom is fine, as long as the case isn't sitting on the floor... because that's where dust eventually settles, aside from furniture and other things.
[/QUOk, thanks
k thanks... I'm not worried about dust, I have bad allergies and clean/dust everything in my house like twice a week (including electronics). The only other thing someone said was that putting the rad below the pump could cause air bubbles? But the dude below says they fill aio's all the way up so no worries?

Grab a can of air from Staples. Blow out the radiator once every six months. Use a vacuum to suck up dust bunnies.

Dust happens. You can't really avoid it and in a high airflow case more so. But balanced intake/outtake cases seem to do better in terms of dust.

And bottom intake mount may be your best option. Bringing in fresh outside air is always better than using warmed exhaust air through the rad.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Umm.... Just got that case earlier today and I'm really impressed with the temperatures I'm getting. Both the CPU and GPU run about 10c cooler... Very shocked and happy with result of just changing cases and adding a few cheep fans, crazy...