Question AIO radiator/fan position question

Lumzi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
I have an NZXT Kraken 53 AIO which I bought to use on a Ryzen 5 5600x build a couple of years ago (haven't really used the system for gaming as I could only find RTX 2060 to use with my old 1080p - also couldn't find a good monitor as I wanted an HDR monitor). I never installed the aio until just a few days ago and just used the stock cooler. However, I got a PNY RTX 4070ti a month or so and got the Alienware QD-OLED.

Since getting the card and started playing games with it, I noticed that the CPU would get really hot and crash the system during gaming using the stock cooler. There are other details but Long story short, I decided to install the AIO and the crashing basically stopped. However the CPU is still somehow hot in a weird way. When I check the temps with software it says it doesn't go over 60-ish Celsius/Centigrade (which is normal) while gaming but the side of the case feels hot and the out-blowing/exhaust fans next to the CPU area blow out really warm air

When installing the AIO I positioned the fans in front of my case to suck air from the front of the case to blow air through the radiator into the case. So air goes from Fans -> through Radiator -> into the case.

So my question is whether this is okay. Is this a good position? If the AIO is working why does the area feel so hot when gaming? Is this normal? I would have preferred to mount the radiator to the top but there is simply no space. Notice that when idle it is about 40-something Celcius.

I must mention at this point that the Tempered glass side panel of my case shattered a few months ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement (Phanteks P400a I think).

I have an NZXT Kraken 53 AIO which I bought to use on a Ryzen 5 5600x build a couple of years ago (haven't really used the system for gaming as I could only find RTX 2060 to use with my old 1080p - also couldn't find a good monitor as I wanted an HDR monitor). I never installed the aio until just a few days ago and just used the stock cooler. However, I got a PNY RTX 4070ti a month or so and got the Alienware QD-OLED.

Since getting the card and started playing games with it, I noticed that the CPU would get really hot and crash the system during gaming using the stock cooler. There are other details but Long story short, I decided to install the AIO and the crashing basically stopped. However the CPU is still somehow hot in a weird way. When I check the temps with software it says it doesn't go over 60-ish Celsius/Centigrade (which is normal) while gaming but the side of the case feels hot and the out-blowing/exhaust fans next to the CPU area blow out really warm air

When installing the AIO I positioned the fans in front of my case to suck air from the front of the case to blow air through the radiator into the case. So air goes from Fans -> through Radiator -> into the case.

So my question is whether this is okay. Is this a good position? If the AIO is working why does the area feel so hot when gaming? Is this normal? I would have preferred to mount the radiator to the top but there is simply no space. Notice that when idle it is about 40-something Celcius.

I must mention at this point that the Tempered glass side panel of my case shattered a few months ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement (Phanteks P400a I think).
Yes, position of radiator and it's fans is optimal for CPU cooling. 60c at load is more than ideal. For lower idle temps, make sure that pump runs at full speed.
Without the case side, case fans are not doing much . It's most probably your GPU that produces most heat.
Do you have any fans set as exhaust in top of the case ?

Reactions: Lumzi

Lumzi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, position of radiator and it's fans is optimal for CPU cooling. 60c at load is more than ideal. For lower idle temps, make sure that pump runs at full speed.
Without the case side, case fans are not doing much . It's most probably your GPU that produces most heat.
Do you have any fans set as exhaust in top of the case ?
Thank you for your very helpful response.

Yes, two fans at the top.