Question AIO Radiator Position in H500P Mesh

Oct 30, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a question about where collocate the radiator of my AIO (NZXT X63 Kraken)in MasterCase H500P Mesh. Which position is better? Top or Front? and why?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As someone who has the same chassis, and has played around with both air and hybrid coolers on both the cpu and gpu...

I'm assuming this is for the cpu - you're going to have to 'pick your poison:
-front mounted is better for the part the cooler is mounted to, but worse for everything else.
-top exhaust is worse for the part the cooler is mounted to, but better for everything else.
-top intake is better for the part the cooler is mounted to and other devices above the gpu, but is worse for the gpu and devices below it.
Top intake is an option here because of the acrylic window in the top panel.
[Tested with an Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360, top intake has a small edge over top exhaust for cpu thermals. Just keep in mind the negatives.]

Oct 30, 2020
As someone who has the same chassis, and has played around with both air and hybrid coolers on both the cpu and gpu...

I'm assuming this is for the cpu - you're going to have to 'pick your poison:
-front mounted is better for the part the cooler is mounted to, but worse for everything else.
-top exhaust is worse for the part the cooler is mounted to, but better for everything else.
-top intake is better for the part the cooler is mounted to and other devices above the gpu, but is worse for the gpu and devices below it.
Top intake is an option here because of the acrylic window in the top panel.
[Tested with an Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360, top intake has a small edge over top exhaust for cpu thermals. Just keep in mind the negatives.]

My GPU is the 2080 OC edition with 3 fans of asus rog, I dont think Iwill have problem with temperatures of it. I think I will pick on top intake. Thanks for the answer! :)

Nov 29, 2020
I tried every configuration.Best is in front with 200mm and the 3 120mm as pull.on 2 degrees upper was radiator without 200mm and 200mm in front of the radiator with the fans in row(noisy cause of 2 fans on row).Top as exhaust was a disaster when my rx 5700 xt was on gaming mode (10-15degrees more on stress test cpu+gpu)but low db was better than the rest points.Top as intake was like having the radiator in front without pull.So i decided top (cooling:9/10 noise :7/10)

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My guess for the subpar top exhaust thermals has to do with the combo of the acrylic window up there + the gpu's exhaust.

Top intake didn't behave as I expected though. I wonder if that's because you kept the 200mm fans and I didn't - 3x 140mm.

Nov 29, 2020
Ofc...fans must be on the same dimensions as is the radiator.if there are bigger fans you losing 45% of the pressure that you need.Also 140mm fans have less static pressure and that is something that we dont need on aios.Higher static pressure performs lower degrees.try with the 120mm and you ll see a big difference.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I remember correctly - it's been awhile since I tried that - the front 120mm don't fit, or should I say, the provided screws aren't long enough to go through the front fans and into the radiator screw holes.
It was something like that - I forget.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Celsius S36.
Already used the provided screws to secure the pull fans, thus I'm left with the long screws from the H500P's toolkit... and to go through the front fans, through the fan bracket, and into the radiator holes...
They're not long enough for all that, IIRC.
I'll play around with that some other time though.

It's good that you found what works best for your system. (y)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nov 29, 2020
Top exhaust makes cpu run 10 degrees hotter under load...for someone that need to have cpu oc these10 degrees are precious.For example i have 9600k on 5.0ghz and under full load when i have as intake on top getting 63-65 degrees and as exhaust 74-77 degrees.The philosophy of building a proper pc with good airflow is to keep your cpu,gpu on the best possible temperarure.

TRENDING THREADS