[SOLVED] AIO radiator screws shock me (literally)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hey, so my PC has been randomly power cycling since the past two months.
I have replaced everything including the PSU, RAM to a QVL supported one, MOBO, SSD, M.2, cabinet and processor.

PC specs:
i7-8700
Mobo : Gigabyte B365 DS3h
Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz DDR4 X1
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze
AIO 240mm deepcool liquid cooler
Cabinet Antec NX500
Nvidia Quadro fx4800

There is no BSOD. Just random shutdowns and automatic power on.
But today, when I was checking something inside the cabinet, I placed my arm on top of the cabinet where the screws go to hold the AIO's radiator. And it shocked me. Not a painful one, but a sting, really noticeable but not hurtful. Please find the picture. (There is a magnetic rubber mesh that goes on this but I took it off during cleaning)
The only thing that shocks me are the screws and nothing else, nothing around it, particularly the screws)
View: https://i.imgur.com/Jk85Xho.jpg

Could this be causing the power offs?
If so how do I solve this?

Solution
This typically a grounding problem.
Does your PSU plug have 3 prongs connected to a 3 prong electrical outlet?
If not, then you aren't grounding your system. If yes, then your electrical outlet may have a problem..try another outlet.
You're either not properly using 3 prong connections, or your outlets have a problem.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Well first off, I hope you have a backup of your system.

Secondly how old is your system? Especially the PSU.

Do you have the rubber washers installed between the screws, radiator, and case?

I'd also look inside the case and see if you have any hanging wires across your motherboard. Did you properly install the standoffs in your case before you put your motherboard in?

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Well first off, I hope you have a backup of your system.

Secondly how old is your system? Especially the PSU.

Do you have the rubber washers installed between the screws, radiator, and case?

I'd also look inside the case and see if you have any hanging wires across your motherboard. Did you properly install the standoffs in your case before you put your motherboard in?
Everything is 6 months old, no there are no rubber washers.
The standoffs came pre installed with the case so they fit right.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Your case should have come with washers or grommets for the track where you have screwed in the radiator, though I don't think the screws alone would be causing a short causing your PC to reboot.

Are there leaks in your AIO?

If not, then you aren't grounding your system. If yes, then your electrical outlet may have a problem..try another outlet.
You're either not properly using 3 prong connections, or your outlets have a problem.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Solution

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Yes, it is a 3 pronged PSU connected to a 3 pronged outlet.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
well you can always call electrician to check your wall outlet wiring, your grounding seems to be not working
So I checked the grounding by using a bulb in a holder and two wires. First I stuck them into the phase and neutral holes and the bulb turned on, next I stuck the wire into the phase and grounding holes and it didn't light up. The same condition is with the other socket in my room.
I tried it throughout my house and it lights up everywhere else (when plugged into phase and ground). So is this a problem with just the sockets themselves in my room or the grounding?

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
So I checked the grounding by using a bulb in a holder and two wires. First I stuck them into the phase and neutral holes and the bulb turned on, next I stuck the wire into the phase and grounding holes and it didn't light up. The same condition is with the other socket in my room.
I tried it throughout my house and it lights up everywhere else (when plugged into phase and ground). So is this a problem with just the sockets themselves in my room or the grounding?

Sounds like the sockets in the room where you have your computer aren't right

Will change them and update.
But what are the odds that none of the sockets in only my room are faulty? Am I missing something?
Sockets are 'daisy chained', one after another on a branch circuit. It's very easy to install one socket wrong and every one thereafter in the chain is wrong...or even wired wrong all the way from the circuit breaker panel.

Have an electrician install a GFI on the branch circuit. If there's ever a fault where even a small current flows directly to ground instead of back on the neutral wire as it should it will immediately disable the outlet and protect your life.

The paint layer on the case insulates you from feeling the shock. The reason you can feel the shock on the screws is because the paint on their head has has been scraped away by the screw driver when installing them.

Last edited:

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Thank you, this was the problem, the outlets just in my room weren't grounded.

Reactions: dudio
Status
Not open for further replies.