demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
I am looking to upgrade my PC to a 3080 at some point, however due to the size of my case and the length of the GPU, I am trying to find other alternatives to my CPU cooler. I have a AIO Water cooler that is a brand by the company that built my PC and it has 2 120MM fans on it, the problem is my current GPU is a Gigabyte 1080ti (280mm) which has 3 fans and the side of the GPU rests right against the AIO. With the 3080 being 285 at it's smallest, it's going to require my AIO either to be mounted at the top or switched out entirely.

I have found a couple coolers (one AIO and one air cooler) that I'm not entirely sure about and any advice would be helpful! My case is not all that big and I want to go from 2 x 8 sticks of RAM to 4 x 8 sticks, I need to find a air cooler that will be to big for that. I will post links to pcpartpicker with my current build and the parts I am currently looking at upgrading.

Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VVVCRT

Upgrading parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ny6mMv

Solution
That's if I can fit it there, this is all back up in case. The one I have the block is fairly sizeable and may come down to touch the RAM sticks so it may not work out sadly. Will have to see when the time comes.

If the Hyper212 isn't meant for 8 core CPU's, what would you recommend in it's place then for the air cool ones? I think if I had to do it, the AIO from Corsair should work in my PC depending on how they mount it but have to see.

Can't quite see the top or how wide the top fan mounts are, but seems like you can mount it towards the tempered glass side so that even if the AIO juts out it won't interfere with RAM sticks.

Alternatively, NH-U12A or D-15S might work. D-15S is about good 240mm AIO performance, NH-U12A is...

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Just move the AIO up top.
That Hyper212 might not keep your CPU cool, it wasn't built for 8 core cpu's.

That's if I can fit it there, this is all back up in case. The one I have the block is fairly sizeable and may come down to touch the RAM sticks so it may not work out sadly. Will have to see when the time comes.

If the Hyper212 isn't meant for 8 core CPU's, what would you recommend in it's place then for the air cool ones? I think if I had to do it, the AIO from Corsair should work in my PC depending on how they mount it but have to see.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Can't quite see the top or how wide the top fan mounts are, but seems like you can mount it towards the tempered glass side so that even if the AIO juts out it won't interfere with RAM sticks.

Alternatively, NH-U12A or D-15S might work. D-15S is about good 240mm AIO performance, NH-U12A is damn near that. Scythe Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 is Scythe's equivalent; bequiet's DRP4 would be good too.
For top of the line air cooler in terms of performance (noise notwithstanding), Assassin III. I remember seeing it top the charts even over D-15.

Some notes: NH-U12A doesn't come in Chromax (yet), and Assassin III is quite tall at 165mm. Scythes are better at their case and RAM compatibility.

If you prefer AIOs at the front, then H80i, the best 120mm you can get. Captain 120EX comes close especially in lower fan speeds. Might not be enough for an overclocked 9700K, though. For non-OC chip/lower wattages, the H80i is basically 240mm AIO in 120mm form.

Solution

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018

Alternatively, NH-U12A or D-15S might work. D-15S is about good 240mm AIO performance, NH-U12A is damn near that. Scythe Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 is Scythe's equivalent; bequiet's DRP4 would be good too.
For top of the line air cooler in terms of performance (noise notwithstanding), Assassin III. I remember seeing it top the charts even over D-15.

Some notes: NH-U12A doesn't come in Chromax (yet), and Assassin III is quite tall at 165mm. Scythes are better at their case and RAM compatibility.

If you prefer AIOs at the front, then H80i, the best 120mm you can get. Captain 120EX comes close especially in lower fan speeds. Might not be enough for an overclocked 9700K, though. For non-OC chip/lower wattages, the H80i is basically 240mm AIO in 120mm form.

You may get better pictures on Corsairs website for that particular case, pcpartpicker sometimes just doesn't have the best shots uploaded.

I don't OC though, everything is literally stock out of the box minus the RAM which is set to it's 3200 max speed. As for your suggestions, I'm looking at the Noctua and both Scythes but leaning towards that Mugen 5 as it does look to be on the smaller side.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
You may get better pictures on Corsairs website for that particular case, pcpartpicker sometimes just doesn't have the best shots uploaded.

I don't OC though, everything is literally stock out of the box minus the RAM which is set to it's 3200 max speed. As for your suggestions, I'm looking at the Noctua and both Scythes but leaning towards that Mugen 5 as it does look to be on the smaller side.

Pulled out the pics from Corsair's website; looks like you can fit 240mm up top without interfering RAM sticks. 280mm is sketchy, but I figure it's possible with only push or pull fans or push/pull with 15mm thick fans.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Pulled out the pics from Corsair's website; looks like you can fit 240mm up top without interfering RAM sticks. 280mm is sketchy, but I figure it's possible with only push or pull fans or push/pull with 15mm thick fans.

Sadly mine is like.. encased inside of it, so sadly it's going to be hard to mount it above my RAM chips. I don't know how to explain it, I can try to dig up a picture I have of it later.

TRENDING THREADS