[SOLVED] AIO water cooler doesnt really cool after cleaning it

Oct 16, 2019
So as the title says
my watercooler doesnt really cool after I cleaned it.

I literally just applied new thermal compound and cleared the dust off of the radiator.
Before it was just fine even when overclocking.

Im running a Threadripper 1950x with the Enermax Liqtech Tr4.
I've tried to put the fans behind the radiator and shake it.

The pump should be working it says like ~2700Rpm in the bios. I also feel a light vibration when touching it.

Solution
Well in GN video, the first one Steve opened was one he tested, and shelved, so saw little use. But if you look at the color of the coolant, it's obviously yellowish-green. The second was one he topped off with cryo-fuel, which does contain an anti-fungal, and has seen more use. The coolant was basically clear.

So I'd be inclined to believe, rubix, that the one you have is probably going to look just like the first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

I'm guessing it's an original Liqtech TR4 and not the Liqtech II TR4. Steve got a bunch of twitters, which started this video, and even in the description it says that coolant issues with gunk buildup are causing overheat issues.

I'd give serious thought to rma or at least a call to Enermax, as this is a valid concern and a manufacturer defect. Hopefully you are still under warranty period.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well in GN video, the first one Steve opened was one he tested, and shelved, so saw little use. But if you look at the color of the coolant, it's obviously yellowish-green. The second was one he topped off with cryo-fuel, which does contain an anti-fungal, and has seen more use. The coolant was basically clear.

So I'd be inclined to believe, rubix, that the one you have is probably going to look just like the first.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've see that video and that's what my thinking was as well.

I don't know what the overall cause is, as I am in agreement with Steve as I'm not a chemist to know exactly what is taking place, but I have my theories, mostly around the % of glycol mixture actually present vs. 'whatever other fluid' and whether the radiator was flushed or not after manufacture and any oils and residues react with the coolant. The fact that there's just so much gunk also lends info to that something is breaking down and coagulating whether that is tubing, fittings or something else.

All that junk has to come from somewhere.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, that's an easy answer. Enermax.

They brand mediocre psus, mediocre fans, mediocre aircoolers, and wanted to challenge Corsair dominance of AIO's? It should have been like Cryorig when they first showed up and challenged the hyper212, Enermax should have done everything better. They didn't. Their AIO's are even mediocre, as was their thought process if 1 year old AIO's have this many complaints and evidence of gunk and fungi in the coolant. They'd have been far wiser to partner with a known brand and put on the label 'filled with Cryo-fuel' or some such.

Enermax pretty much showed up to a gunfight with a pocket knife, and thats exactly what it looks like from my point of view in the peanut gallery.