[SOLVED] AIO water cooler pump not running at rated RPM

Dreadbell101

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
Hey all, hopefully someone here can help!

So I've been overclocking my built PC that I've had for a while, like 4 years or something. This AIO cooler is consistently running at 1,300 give or take. The rated pump should run at 2500 RPM, aren't these suppose to run at 100% all the time for water pressure?
Is there something wrong with the AIO or am I missing something here? I've roughly tried to adjust it through speedfan, no result of being able to lower or increase the RPM, same goes for the BIOS (as far as I know, thats why I'm here)

Last edited:
Solution
Why? You have an ATX mobo with plenty of fan headers for the pump. There's 2 'normal' ways to install a simple aio.
  1. Pump to cpu_fan header, fan to a sys_fan header.
  2. Pump to sys_fan header, fan to cpu_fan header.
The first is factory recommend by every aio manufacturer out there, they bank on pump failure sooner than fan failure and the cpu_fan header has a cpu direct low rpm shutdown.

The second offers better fan control as the sys_fan header responds to a temp sensor on the mobo, whereas the cpu_fan header responds to the cpu temps.

Direct pump to psu will require an adapter. Being direct to psu means there is absolutely no reporting rpm, since that's done through the 3rd wire tach. So it's impossible that you are...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS. Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

PC = four years old?

Very likely that the pump has been driven to its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Loss of RPMs - consider that as a warning and starting thinking about a new cooler.

If the current cooler fails it may take other components with it.....

Dreadbell101

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
There's no software to control the RPM and no BIOS settings change it either or fanspeed. Fair to say its about to hit the <Mod Edit>. Everything I've read points to this and also someone I'm discussing with this on reddit is point to the same

Yes the entire build is something like 4 to 4 and half years old. Plus AIO's are known to not last long and either just <Mod Edit> the bed when they RIP or drop in RPM dramatically, which is whats happening to me

Time to go with air flow I think

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Why? You have an ATX mobo with plenty of fan headers for the pump. There's 2 'normal' ways to install a simple aio.
  1. Pump to cpu_fan header, fan to a sys_fan header.
  2. Pump to sys_fan header, fan to cpu_fan header.
The first is factory recommend by every aio manufacturer out there, they bank on pump failure sooner than fan failure and the cpu_fan header has a cpu direct low rpm shutdown.

The second offers better fan control as the sys_fan header responds to a temp sensor on the mobo, whereas the cpu_fan header responds to the cpu temps.

Direct pump to psu will require an adapter. Being direct to psu means there is absolutely no reporting rpm, since that's done through the 3rd wire tach. So it's impossible that you are reading 1300rpm as the pump rpm from a psu. The only other cable attachment on that unit is the fan.

In silent mode, the fan is rated 0rpm-1300rpm

Solution

TRENDING THREADS