Air conditioner, 5000BTU wattage??

Vitric9

Distinguished
I just picked up a Frigidaire 5,000 BTU AC from friend, it is has been used for about 2 summers i think. I have my 750w PSU in my PC. I am pretty sure that it is on it's own Circuit breaker at 15@120v. How much Wattage will the AC use? it says 115amps I do not know the voltage.

Well the math is simple

Amps X Volts = Watts
so
115(no way in hell) x 120 = 13800watts.

You have 1800 watt breakers. Chances are you do not want to load those near the top end all the time either way.

Now having a 750 watt power supply in the PC does NOT use 750 watts unless the hardware in the PC does. If your computer uses 750 watts, the PSU takes even more to make this 750 watts.

Point in case here. I have a 850HX power supply from corsair and my system idles at about 80-90 watts and loads under 350 watts from the wall. My other system has a 300 watt unit and idles at about 40 watts and loads at 150-170 watts from the wall. So the systems are using even less because of losses in the power supply.

should say on it somewhere. somewhere in the range of 4-8amps is typical depending on how efficiency. also remember ac have a high startup current so it prob should not be used on a high power computer Circuit. and does your computer really use 750 watts? remember that max power not normal draw which would be a lot less.

also a typical ac system for a 2000sq foot home only draws 60-80 amps. I know I make them

Vitric9

Distinguished
No my PSU is not using that much power. Even on a full load it would probably hit about 500w. The web site for the AC says 115v. But the manual I have says 115amps,... Either way most 5000 btu Air conditioners peak at about 600w i think

Well that manual lost something in translation.

Either way the general recommendation for these types of devices being on a separate circuit is because of the start up current.

My guess is that in 2 years, you would have seen issues if anything was going to happen.