Discussion Air conditioner installation dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Hey all, I dunno if Im posting in the right section, but I bought a new air conditioner. It’s a Panasonic one.

Just installed everything, but I noticed that there is a rubber plug but no hole to plug it into.

So, I checked the owners manual and I found this:
0295755-E-884-B-4-DAA-B23-E-A3-FFF2-CBA64-F.jpg

Circled in red, it says to actually plug the drain hole. Claiming that the air conditioner doesn’t need draining under normal circumstances... to the right there is also an option to install the drain pan...

I’ve had A/C units dripping cause of clogged drains, I feel very uncomfortable intentionally plugging one, unless this specific unit was designed to be plugged, under normal circumstances.

So perhaps somebody could share some insights, to plug? Or not?

Thanks.

Hey all, I dunno if Im posting in the right section, but I bought a new air conditioner. It’s a Panasonic one.

Just installed everything, but I noticed that there is a rubber plug but no hole to plug it into.

So, I checked the owners manual and I found this:
0295755-E-884-B-4-DAA-B23-E-A3-FFF2-CBA64-F.jpg

Circled in red, it says to actually plug the drain hole. Claiming that the air conditioner doesn’t need draining under normal circumstances... to the right there is also an option to install the drain pan...

I’ve had A/C units dripping cause of clogged drains, I feel very uncomfortable intentionally plugging one, unless this specific unit was designed to be plugged, under normal circumstances.

So perhaps somebody could share some insights, to plug? Or not?

Thanks.
I'd leave it unplugged. I can't imagine it hurting anything.

It basically says that the plug is just for looks....and efficiency....but that small hole isn't going to hurt efficiency much.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Thanks guys. I think I’ll just leave it unplugged.

Tried feeling if there is airflow through the small hole, and there is quite a lot actually. Still, leaving it unplugged would make me sleep better :D (unless given a good reason to plug...).

Thanks guys. I think I’ll just leave it unplugged.

Tried feeling if there is airflow through the small hole, and there is quite a lot actually. Still, leaving it unplugged would make me sleep better :D (unless given a good reason to plug...).
You could put a piece of stainless steel, steel wool in the hole. That way it would drain....but the wool would block a good portion of the flow....but you would have to use stainless otherwise I imagine you would have rust water dripping all over.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
You could put a piece of stainless steel, steel wool in the hole. That way it would drain....but the wool would block a good portion of the flow....but you would have to use stainless otherwise I imagine you would have rust water dripping all over.

What a great idea! How come I haven’t thought of something like that, lol.

Gonna have to buy some steel wool.

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Many a/c units may have an internal drain pan, and within the inside of this drain pan you might see the hot gas line from the compressor to the condenser. They use the water in the internal drain pan the help cool the hot gas line going into the condenser to increase the efficiency of the operation. I'm sure that not plugging the drain certainly won't hurt or damage it... but under normal circumstances plugging it might help with operational costs, because that hot gas line will evaporate the condensate coming from the evaporator and into the drain pan. Check the inside out to see if it does use an internal drain pan, and if there is a copper line soldered to the inside of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.