Question Air cooled CPU with water cooled GPU ?

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have a Cooler Master NR600 with ODD case , an ATX board with CPU i5-13600KF and GPU RTX 4080 Super. CPU is cooled with Peerless Assassin 120 and for RTX 4080 Super I ordered an Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO with 360 radiator. The only way to place the radiator in the case is to remove the ODD and put the radiator on the front wall of the case. I'm a bit concerned that the Peerless Assassin will draw warm air from the radiator in front of it and there will be a problem with CPU cooling. Does anyone have a similar configuration and what is your experience with it?

Lutfij

Titan
yes it'll draw in prewarmed air before it's exhausted out the case with the rear fan(and possibly be vented up the top if you remove the dust filter) but you could add an Eisbaer to the loop and have your CPU watercooled as well as the GPU and you're able to contain the loop in the case in general.

The principal is the same;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1u_SZ5xHgw

in spite of the video being dated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a bit concerned that the Peerless Assassin will draw warm air from the radiator in front of it and there will be a problem with CPU cooling.
This isn't anything new; most* air cooled gpus have been dumping their waste heat into cpu air or top mounted AIO coolers for years. The front mounted Eiswolf will be more of the same thing.
[The blower style gpu cooler is the only one that doesn't do this.]

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
How do you feel about buying a new case? To give yourself more options.

The Fractal Torrent is expensive but it's cooling is so good.
Other, cheaper cases can do the job. Just look at where you could install the radiator.
This isn't anything new; most* air cooled gpus have been dumping their waste heat into cpu air or top mounted AIO coolers for years. The front mounted Eiswolf will be more of the same thing.
[The blower style gpu cooler is the only one that doesn't do this.]
It isn't such a terrible situation if the CPU cooler is half decent, and the Peerless is well, not peerless but certainly good.

I agree it should be avoided if possible though.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
And apart from the price, how will the Fractal Torrent differ from the Cooler Master NR600 if they both have a radiator in front? If I wanted to change the case (it might come to that), I would buy something more modest, like the Kolink Unity Meshbay...

https://kolink.eu/Home/case-1/midi-tower-2/unity-series/unity-meshbay-performance.html
Why don't you put the radiator in the bottom position? The front has two 180mm fans. It would be a shame to lose them.
The bottom fans are surplus, so you can use one as rear exhaust.

Or you can pick a different case, one that lets you mount the radiator on top or bottom so it's exhaust air doesn't interfere with the Assassin's work.

Kolink is more cheap than modest. If you want something more modest, look at Phanteks XT or Eclipse series.
The Montech Air 903 Max or Base is probably the cheapest, decent case that will let you place the radiator on top.

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Radiator bottom? That's the worst thing i could do, put the radiator under the pump... I'd rather put the heatsink on the front of my Cooler Master case and see what it does.

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I didn't miss it and I really appreciate your opinion and the first thing I'll try is just to mount the radiator on the front side and check the temps.
Then I have a slightly crazy idea in reserve, to turn the air flow in the case. The rear and top fans would draw air into the case, it would flow through the CPU cooler from the back to the front, and the three Icewolf radiator fans would pull it out of the case.
The TDP of the undervolted i5-13600KF is not as big as the TDP of the RTX 4080 Super under load and maybe it could work...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't miss it...
Sorry, the 'you missed my point' in my last post was in response to 35below0.

Then I have a slightly crazy idea in reserve, to turn the air flow in the case. The rear and top fans would draw air into the case, it would flow through the CPU cooler from the back to the front, and the three Icewolf radiator fans would pull it out of the case.
The TDP of the undervolted i5-13600KF is not as big as the TDP of the RTX 4080 Super under load and maybe it could work...
Not really a crazy idea, but it is one that does work in niche scenarios. Unless you see the 13600K hitting the thermal limit, this may not be something you need to go out of the way to fix.
Plus, unlike the recent Ryzen cpus, Geforce, Radeon, and Arc gpus, the Core i cpu's frequencies don't scale with temperature - excluding the limiit, of course. The other parts will sustain higher average clocks with lower operating temperature - to a point. They don't boost to infinity.

Does the 4080 super card card have to be liquid cooled?
You might do better to air cool the gpu as well.
You can then adjust how strong the front intakes are to get cool air into the system to cool your parts.

Reversing the fans on an aio is not a great idea.
The temperature of the air inside a case can be quite high, in the 50c. range.
Your room air will be more like 72 f.

Last edited:

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
@geofelt, yes, my 4080 super card have to be liquid cooled, because I bought an used Inno3d with damaged heatsink.

I installed AIO, the radiator is in the front and I am positively surprised. There is no extra hot air coming out of the radiator and CPU temperatures are lower than when the GPU was air-cooled under it...

Jun 6, 2024
I have a similar setup in my NR600. I also removed the ODD and mounted a 360mm radiator on the front. Initially, I was worried about warm air from the radiator affecting the CPU cooler, but it works fine as long as you manage the airflow well.

Here's what I did: I used high-quality intake fans on the front to pull in cool air through the radiator, and then I have exhaust fans on the rear and top. This setup keeps my CPU temps reasonable even under heavy loads. Just ensure you have a balanced intake and exhaust, and good cable management for optimal airflow.
I have a Cooler Master NR600 with ODD case , an ATX board with CPU i5-13600KF and GPU RTX 4080 Super. CPU is cooled with Peerless Assassin 120 and for RTX 4080 Super I ordered an Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO with 360 radiator. The only way to place the radiator in the case is to remove the ODD and put the radiator on the front wall of the case. I'm a bit concerned that the Peerless Assassin will draw warm air from the radiator in front of it and there will be a problem with CPU cooling. Does anyone have a similar configuration and what is your experience with it?

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply and the experience regarding the airflow, I'm fine and happy with both GPU and CPU temperatures. How do you place the radiator, hose connection at the top or bottom?