Air Cooled i7-8700k - My Experience So Far

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Summary
I recently upgraded to an air cooled Intel i7-8700k processor (among other things). Prior to purchasing my parts I couldn't find a whole lot of info regarding air cooling with the 8700k - at least not much from people who ACTUALLY had an air cooled processor. I'm making this post in hopes of providing a reference point for anyone struggling to decide between liquid and air cooling.

My Experience Thus Far
So far I have been running the 8700k with the Cooler Master Ma620P air cooler for about 2 weeks. I have ran multiple stress tests, played about 10 hours of intense games while also watching Youtube (Arma 3 utra settings, PUBG ultra settings, PAVLOV and ONWARD on the Oculus, etc.).

I am using "intel speed-step" alongside an Asus automatic OC profile for air cooled systems. It claims CPU performance is boosted like 36% or something like that. CPU frequency jumps up to 5.2Ghz sometimes

At idle my CPU hovers between 29 and 33 C. Light to Moderate use increases temp to around 43 C. Intense gaming bumps temp between 50-60. NOTE: I am in a semi-air conditioned room. Room temp stays between 70 and 77 F.

The other day I did use an "extreme" OC profile. Temps were significantly higher (40-50 C while idle; 50-55 C with light use; 55-65C when on Arma 3 ultra settings). I was a little scared of the high-ish idle temps compared to what I am used to, so I turned back to "moderate OC".

Overall I am very satisfied with the CPU and the air cooler. I would definitely recommend a dual tower air cooler to anyone looking to run a stock (or somewhat overclocked) 8700k.

If you would like details regarding my thoughts on air cooling vs liquid cooling, or want to know why I choose an air cooler, please read the rest of this article.

My Full Build
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING w/Wifi
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition
Memory: G.Skill 16GB Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MA620P Twin Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler
SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SATA 6GB/s
SSD2: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB SATA 6GB/s
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB : , 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
Other: Intel Optane Memory (32GB "attached" to HDD)
ODD: Asus 24x DVD-RW
Expansion Card: Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0
PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X Blue
Display:3- ASUS VH238H 23-Inch 1080P LED Monitor w/Spkrs
Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 channel surround sound
Keyboard: Perixx PX-1100 MultiColored Backlit Keyboard
Mouse: Sentey Revolution Pro

Why I decided to go with Air Cooling (Specifically the MA620P)
I have had too many bad expereinces with liquid cooling; too much wasted money, and too much time down. I have never had a bad expereince with an air cooler, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having any crazy issues. Liquid cooler kinda scare me; I'm paranoid of what could go wrong. With an air setup I might have a fan go out; worse case scenario the other fan is still working, I slap one of my case fans on the CPU cooler until I can order a new one, and everything carries on as normal.

More specifically, I chose the Cooler Master MA620P because it was reasonably priced, is absolutely gorgeous (and mean looking at the same time), comes from a great brand, and offers similar features/performance to some of the more expensive air coolers (dual towers, dual fans, 6 heat pipes, etc.).

My Experience with both Liquid and Air Coolers
I'll be completely honest...I have a bit of a thorn in my side when it comes to AIO liquid CPU coolers. I have had two liquid coolers and both failed in no time flat. I can't say much for custom liquid systems, as I have no experience with them.

Anyway, on my previous build (way back in Jan 2014) my Corsair h100i basically died right out of the box. I think I had it for 2 days before the pump quit. Then, my Cooler Master Nepton 240 lasted for about 7 months and the pump went out on it.

On a slightly OC'ed 4700k I was idling around 43 C and gaming around 55-60 C while running the Nepton 240. After it failed a switched to a Hyper 212 Evo. My idle temps actually DROPPED to the mid 30s C, and my gaming temps (while increased) never went over the mid 60s C. Overall I was actually more satisfied with air cooling on my previous build because the air cooler was basically just as good as the liquid cooler and WAY less likely to fail.

To further support the power of air cooling...my friend was also running a 4700k (in a super dusty environment I might add). He is to this day still using the stock Intel cooler. His PC is tucked into a desk compartment, surrounded by wires, and constantly sucking in dust and pet hair. Somehow he maintains reasonable temps, and has never had problems with overheating.

What Other People Think
Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to liquid vs air coolers. A lot of people have very strong opinions...a lot of those people have no personal experience to support their arguments, and merely choose a side because its all they have ever used. Of course I can't speak for everyone, and you should definitely do your own research.

In my quest to get an appropriate cooler for the 8700k I stumbled across several mixed reviews regarding air cooling effectiveness (and lack thereof).

Those for Air on the 8700k
Many people suggest that it is possible to air cool an i7-8700k cpu. Most of the comments I read stated a need for a high end cooler such as the NH-D14 or the Dark Rock Pro 4. These coolers are a bit more pricey than say a Hyper 212 Evo (I use as a reference primarily because its so well known and widely used). Even so, they tend to be a good bit cheaper than most good AIO water coolers. Additionally, they are dual tower setups running a "Push Pull" configuration. Having two towers and two fans allows for air to be both pushed and pulled across the heat-sink fins.

While highly argued, many people claim these high end dual tower air coolers are just as good as most AIO liquid coolers, while also being much cheaper, and more reliable as the only real point of failure is the fan (and most good fans are rated for at least 100,000 hours).

It should be noted that most people (even those in favor of air cooling) do not suggest moderate to heavy overclocking when using an air cooler on the 8700k.. Some people buy the 8700 instead of the 8700k because they don't plan to OC, but for a few extra dollars I think its worth getting the faster base speed and the option to OC. Plus a decent air cooler should be fine on a stock/light OC'ed 8700k.

Those for Liquid on the 8700k
Many people are highly against using an air cooler for the 8700k. I saw some pretty extreme opinions from people who claim its ridiculous (even impossible) to run an 8700k without a liquid cooler. Yes, it does pull alot of power; yes it creates a lot of heat...do I agree with them...only if their computers operate in an non-climate-controlled environment that stays really hot.

65C is nothing to be alarmed at....

YOu might experiment with eliminating all MB/BIOS/software overclocking presets, and simply select XMP/3200 MHz, and have CPU clock speed set to degault,/aiuto, but make sure MCE is enabled, which will ramp all 6 cores to as high as the turbo speed allows at 4.7 GHz if possible, which is often more effective than merely boosting a single core to 5.1 GHz, etc.... (

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Ok, cool! I will give it a try.