Build Advice Air cooler 160mm max height

Dec 9, 2019
Hi guys.

Would like to replace the wraith prism ( lame performance and a bit too noisy ) with an aftermarket CPU cooler and need some help.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X ( clean BIOS settings, and this mean 46-50 idle temp and that 1.475V on single core >_> )
Ram: HyperX Predator x4 ( 42.2 mm tall )
MOBO: B450F-Gaming
Case: InWin 101 ( Max Cooler height 160mm )

Atm i'm looking at the Scyte Ninja 5 ( that should fit ) and the Dark rock TF but the first seems a bit to big and the second will end up too close to the glass panel, killing the Air flow.

Any suggestion?

I have a phanteks p300 tempered glass case with a max height of 160mm and use a Cryorig R1 for my 8700k and it fights just fine.

If your ram is to tall for the front fan you can get the universal which has a thin fan that will fit down right next to the ram.

Noctua d15s is a 160mm.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

It shouldn't matter how close it is to the side panel. Airflow will still go through the cooler. So you wont kill any flow.

The ninja is 155 and has 55mm of ram clearance. Which should be plenty. The dark rock tf is only 130, but ram clearance may be an issue due to the design of the heatsink.

But any of these coolers will be more than enough for your cpu.

There are many great coolers that will fit 160mm.
The first question I would ask is what fans do you have, and where are they placed?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
I suspect that your fans are not providing the cooler with sufficient airflow to do it's job.
Also, what is your graphics card?
You should have at least two 120mm intake fans, preferably 3.

The noctua NH-D15s is as good as it gets for an air cooler and it will fit in 160mm.

Dec 9, 2019
There are many great coolers that will fit 160mm.
The first question I would ask is what fans do you have, and where are they placed?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
I suspect that your fans are not providing the cooler with sufficient airflow to do it's job.
Also, what is your graphics card?
You should have at least two 120mm intake fans, preferably 3.

The noctua NH-D15s is as good as it gets for an air cooler and it will fit in 160mm.

6* Corsair AF120 ( 3 bottom / 2 side pannel / 1 back ) placed like this:

Psu------------HDD
----------------------
Out ---CPU----- In
-RTX2070-------In
Out ----- In ------In

CPU temp with stock cooler are (HWInfo64):

CPU (Tctl/Tdie) 48°
CPU Die 36.4°
CPU CCD1 36°

Room should be between 22-26° atm

Last edited:
So you have 2 of the bottoms as intake and one as exhaust? If so I'd make all the bottoms intake. It's almost a waste having that one single bottom fan as an exhaust.

I'm assuming the temps you listed are idle temps? What do load temps look like? Those are what's important.

Dec 9, 2019
I think what is happening is that the bottom exhaust fan is sucking in all of the airflow that the adjacent intake is bringing in to the case
Put all of the bottom fans as intakes.
Whatever air comes in will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
Is this your case?
https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-chassis/101/#product_spec
The specs say the bottom three fan locations support 120mm fans, not 140mm.

• Y my bad they are 6*AF120 not 140 ( fixed that ).
  • That's the case ( the white version ) it was on a huge deal and i picked it but now i partially reget it, since that case it's clearely made for custom AIO.
As for the temperature atm the peak had been 79° while using MemTest for 1H ( while the program is for the RAM ram it also bringed the CPU usage to a constant 98% during the whole process )

While gaming it stay around 68-70°, few games reached the 73-75°.

Honestly did my research and those temp seem normal considering it's a Ryzen 3k and it's working on a B450 ( lots of ppl, in fact, talks about UV and lower those stock 1.475 ). What annoy me the most it's how noisy is the Prism and those continuos ramp up and down when it get close to 65°

EDIT: Changed the fan and did a 15 min stress test with CPU-Z and HW64. CPU temp never reached 75° with stock cooler

Last edited:
Your temperatures are now fine.
The only reason to change out the cooler is for lower noise.
A cooler with a 140mm fan is going to move more air through the cooler at lower rpm.
Also, a tower type cooler is more efficient if you have the room, and you do at 160mm.

A aio cooler is still really air cooling.
The difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
And, mounting an aio is a catch 22 thing.
If you mount it to exhaust air, you will be using heated component air for the heat exchange and your cpu will not be cooled as well as if you mounted the radiator as intake.
If you mount as intake, it is your motherboard and graphics card that gets heated cooling air.

Dec 9, 2019
Your temperatures are now fine.
The only reason to change out the cooler is for lower noise.
A cooler with a 140mm fan is going to move more air through the cooler at lower rpm.
Also, a tower type cooler is more efficient if you have the room, and you do at 160mm.

A aio cooler is still really air cooling.
The difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
And, mounting an aio is a catch 22 thing.
If you mount it to exhaust air, you will be using heated component air for the heat exchange and your cpu will not be cooled as well as if you mounted the radiator as intake.
If you mount as intake, it is your motherboard and graphics card that gets heated cooling air.

Prob the best solution would be a 240mm placed like this:

Psu------------HDD
----------------------
In---CPU----- ---AIO out
-RTX2070-------AIO out
In ----- In --------In

This way it wil drain fresh air directly from the lower FAN ( the bolded one ).

But i don't realy like AIO coolers. ATM both the N-D15S and the Ninja5 seems solid pick that should fit.