Air cooler for moderate OC'ing - i7 7700K

bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, I'm considering purchasing a Cryorig H7 air cooler for my new i7 7700K machine, and would like to know if this'd be sufficient for a mild overclock. I've never OC'd before, but I'm eager to try. Would it be enough to reach say, 4.5 GHz? The H7 looks like the best cooler in the sub-$50 range, which happens to be my budget. Any other cooler suggestions/recommendations from this price range are welcome as well.

Solution
The 7700k runs 4.4ghz all cores with stock clocks. Cheapo GAMMAXX 300 will run up to 72-79 depending on your case cooling and ambient. Cryorig H7 would be enough for up to 4.8, possibly more if you have a good chip that can overclock on lower voltages. However, a moderate overclock doesn't have a noticeable effect on 7700k, it comes already a bit overclocked.

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
The 7700k runs 4.4ghz all cores with stock clocks. Cheapo GAMMAXX 300 will run up to 72-79 depending on your case cooling and ambient. Cryorig H7 would be enough for up to 4.8, possibly more if you have a good chip that can overclock on lower voltages. However, a moderate overclock doesn't have a noticeable effect on 7700k, it comes already a bit overclocked.

Solution

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

Ha, moderate OC turns into as much as I can get often enough. That I think spending on top of the line air cooler is the minimum if you start down the OC road. I'm a cooling freak though.

Consider that once the OC bug has set in you may want a larger OC, summer is right around the corner and 7700k tends to run hot.

I have a box full of low to mid range cpu coolers, would have saved a lot of money buy just buying the NH D15S I use now.