Question Air Cooler or AIO Cooler

Apr 22, 2019
Guys, So about to finish my build and my case supports up to 360mm rad on top. Anyways, I could either get an ID Cooling Auraflow 360x for a little under 80usd here in my place or get an aftermarket cooler for my Ryzen 5 2600 with 2 Cooler Master MF140 Rgb fans. If I get the Aio i wont need extra fans to put on top. Either An 80$ Aio or a 50$ Hsf with 2 140mm fans. Planning to oc ny cpu.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if planning to overclock the CPU, then you'll need to make sure the air cooler is of sufficient quality.
I don't know what HSF is so I can't say what the cooling capabilities are for it.

The AiO from ID Cooling should be decent enough though. You're not gonna break records with it, but should provide enough cooling power to allow you to get maybe a little more than 4.0Ghz on he CPU (like maybe 4.2Ghz.)

I assume there's fans at the front of the case as well already and a single fan at the rear?

gotta have proper air flow, especially if mounting to the top, since when you mount to the top all the hot air inside the case is going right into that radiator, making it's ability to cool the liquid in the radiator lesser that it would be mounted to the front of the case (assuming the case supports front mounted rads.)

What PC case do you have?
And if it's possible to have a 240 or 280mm rad mounted to the front instead, then that would offer better cooling than mounting it to the top.

otherwise, if top mounted is your only option, then that's what you have to deal with, and you just have to make sure that you have good proper front intake for getting as much cool air to flow into and through the case as possible.

Apr 22, 2019
if planning to overclock the CPU, then you'll need to make sure the air cooler is of sufficient quality.
I don't know what HSF is so I can't say what the cooling capabilities are for it.

The AiO from ID Cooling should be decent enough though. You're not gonna break records with it, but should provide enough cooling power to allow you to get maybe a little more than 4.0Ghz on he CPU (like maybe 4.2Ghz.)

I assume there's fans at the front of the case as well already and a single fan at the rear?

gotta have proper air flow, especially if mounting to the top, since when you mount to the top all the hot air inside the case is going right into that radiator, making it's ability to cool the liquid in the radiator lesser that it would be mounted to the front of the case (assuming the case supports front mounted rads.)

What PC case do you have?
And if it's possible to have a 240 or 280mm rad mounted to the front instead, then that would offer better cooling than mounting it to the top.

otherwise, if top mounted is your only option, then that's what you have to deal with, and you just have to make sure that you have good proper front intake for getting as much cool air to flow into and through the case as possible.

I have the Anidees Crystal AI case. By HSF I mean Air cooler. Yes I have 3 140 in front and 1 140mm exhaust.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
ok well, again.... make sure the air cooler is of reputable quality and worth the $50.

If going with air cooler, you'll need fans to populate the top of the case.

if going with an AiO, since you said you have 3x140mm in the front, you can move those fans to the top with just 2x140 and put the AiO in the front of the case as intake instead.

your choice in the end how you wanna play it out.

And as I said, I don't know what air cooler you are looking at so therefore I cannot say what it's quality is like in comparison to the AiO so that'll have to be something you figure out for yourself or if you are willing to share said info about the air cooler, then I can try to tell you what's what.