[SOLVED] Air cooler recommendations for i7 12700k

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Anyone here got any recommendations for a nice air cooler?

I'm after something decently priced (Around £50-£60) with no plans to overclock at this time (this might be in the future but with a better cooler)

I was initially settled on the FUMA 2 but I'm struggling with stock

Note I'd like a cooler with accessible 1700 conversion kits, doesn't need to be packaged in though

I am also considering an AIO which I've settled on, but I'm getting a case with excellent airflow so I feel an air cooler might be beneficial

Ideally something quiet and efficient that can handle the occasional high load

Solution
I am a fan of the noctua coolers. They are top quality, quiet and easy to mount.
New stock will come with lga1700 mounting. If you happen to have an older unit, noctua will send you a kit for free.
Noctua maintains several compatibility lists.
Here is one for the 12700k:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-1579
The cheapest suitable cooler on the list would be the NH-U12s redux which sells for $50 in the us.
But... if you can go for the NH-D15s chromax black, about $90. They should include the lga1700 mount already.
Also, if you can keep your cpu under 70c. It will allow the natural turbo mechanism to reach the max.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I'm after something decently priced (Around £50-£60) with no plans to overclock at this time (this might be in the future but with a better cooler)

Note I'd like a cooler with accessible 1700 conversion kits, doesn't need to be packaged in though

I am also considering an AIO which I've settled on, but I'm getting a case with excellent airflow so I feel an air cooler might be beneficial

10 bucks over and you need to make sure it fits in your case. They offer the 1700 mounting kit.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ah that should do, I was looking at the regular deep rock 4 as well since it's a within the range I was looking at, would you know if that's any decent? There's weirdly little on that model online compared to the Pro, which you can find a lot of info on
It's a good cooler but with that processor I would get about the best you can they run a bit warm.

The Pro 4 and D15 are considered about the best you can get but the D15 is about 90 bucks.

I am a fan of the noctua coolers. They are top quality, quiet and easy to mount.
New stock will come with lga1700 mounting. If you happen to have an older unit, noctua will send you a kit for free.
Noctua maintains several compatibility lists.
Here is one for the 12700k:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-1579
The cheapest suitable cooler on the list would be the NH-U12s redux which sells for $50 in the us.
But... if you can go for the NH-D15s chromax black, about $90. They should include the lga1700 mount already.
Also, if you can keep your cpu under 70c. It will allow the natural turbo mechanism to reach the max.

Solution

You will struggle to get a good enough AIO in that price range. You can get the Dark Rock Pro 4 for £69, that's a good a cooler and rated for 250W TDP:
https://www.ebuyer.com/861441-be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-cpu-air-cooler-bk022?utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLAs||Components||PC+Cooling+and+Modding||Med&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=4863007528&hsa_cam=9521594816&hsa_grp=96552215439&hsa_ad=421883256175&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-883274154214&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQn1WFYoOkMs5s9kZ2eZ3AWNdku2pgeV9jsvb__bZNfBjBphf73JHTRoCZaEQAvD_BwE
or Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUIET-Dark-Silent-Wings-Cooler/dp/B07BY6F8D9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dark+rock+pro+4&qid=1642546173&sprefix=dark+rock+pro,aps,78&sr=8-1

I'd check your RAM clearance first though. Should fit your auditory needs.

I wouldn't get the regular Dark Rock 4 for a 12700K.

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
I actually managed to find the Arctic Liquid Freezer for £59 which keeps it within my budget but it's likely I'll move with the Dark Rock 4 Pro

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the hardest thing you're going to do to the cpu is game, then an air cooler is more than enough.

AIOs have a small edge when you're doing work that loads all cpu cores for hours at a time - think Cinebench, blender renders or the like.
Games don't really push cpus like that. It may look that way due to the gpu, many models which dump some of their heat into the path of the cpu cooler.

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
If the hardest thing you're going to do to the cpu is game, then an air cooler is more than enough.

AIOs have a small edge when you're doing work that loads all cpu cores for hours at a time - think Cinebench, blender renders or the like.
Games don't really push cpus like that. It may look that way due to the gpu, many models which dump some of their heat into the path of the cpu cooler.
I will be using some applications that may use the CPU more intensely like Premiere and Unreal, but I wont be say rendering or building lighting constantly.

What makes me wonder on an air cooler is if having a well-ventilated case (Lian Li Lancool Mesh II Performance) will actually provide more benefit to the system as this is something I've discussed before

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What makes me wonder on an air cooler is if having a well-ventilated case (Lian Li Lancool Mesh II Performance) will actually provide more benefit to the system as this is something I've discussed before
Good ventilation is good for everything inside, yes.
It is harder to choke air coolers, due to their position inside the chassis; they sit towards the center, and due to that, their fan(s) always have 'breathing room'.

Fans on AIOs are easier to choke because you have to install them against a designated space in the chassis and the radiators reduce air throughput in said area, instead of just the finstack with an air cooler.
Thus, it's best to install the rad against an open mesh panel.