Air Cooler Vs Liquid cooler for GTX 1060

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
HI i have an EVGA GTX 1060 .My temps are always around 85c so it starts throttling around 1800mhz and 1950mhz ,So i replaced the stock air cooler with deep cool 120t malestrom .Now the temps are barely reaching 72c but i need to buy a liquid cooler for cpu. so i found Artic accelero does a good job in cooling 1060 around 60c but it costs 30$ more than corsair h45 and cooler master lite 120 .So which i have to prefer ,buy artic accelero for 1060 or a liquid cooler for cpu?

Lutfij

Titan
Provided the case can accept it, the closed loop cooling solution would be a good idea however I'm sure you're doing something wrong here since the temps you receive will be impacted by your ambient air temps, meaning you either have a bad case/case airflow or that there is a lot of dirt/debris or that the ambient air temps are high in your region/area.

Where did you find mention of an Arctic cooler solution being at 60 Deg C? You shouldn't believe all marketing/advertising materiel.

Mind sharing your full system's specs and list them as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

A picture to accompany the specs would also indicate your setup/orientation.

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015

I7 4790k
Asus h81md
8gb furyx and 4gb transcend
4tb WD
no ssd
evga gtx 1060
antec vp650
win10
8unre1q.jpg

http://imgur.com/8unre1q
OO9ybQr.jpg

http://imgur.com/OO9ybQr
rak4Lho.jpg

http://imgur.com/rak4Lho

Lutfij

Titan
Your initial post is misleading. The pictures show that your CPU is under the closed loop cooler, the Deepcool 120t but the post read out seems like you somehow got the closed loop cooler onto your GPU.

Concurrently, after looking at pictures of your system, you failed to mention the case's make and model but it's obvious it's not clean, the rear fan is dirty and the rear fan also looks like it's an 80mm fan. It also explains why the closed loop cooler is outside of your case alongside the PSU.

Instead of spending money on a much more expensive aftermarket cooler for the GPU, you should be looking at a new(current)case with proper airflow that accepts your components. In turn the airflow will help cool your GPU and the components within the chassis. As it stands there is no airflow reaching the GPU and whatever heat is being dumped by your GPU is being recycled which explains the high temps on your GPU.

You're located in India, correct? Why not just pick up a Coolermaster N200?

A slight mistake on your part with parts selection, why did you pick an i7-4790K and pair it with an H81 chipset board? You're already running on wasted potential. The right route to have taken was a Z97 board+DDR3-2133MHz rams. Speaking of rams, it's horrible practice to mix and match ram/sticks of ram. If you want more ram buy a kit and populate slots evenly.

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015

i thought keeping the case open is sufficient for the air flow .so i didnt got a nice case ,i thought i could save some money.
*should i buy that case?

Those RAM i bought tracend 1st, then i bought the FURY X ,
* should i remove the transcend "RAM" , 8gb enough?

Those pictures are before customizing the gpu i.e with air cooler.ill post the recent pictures of Liquid Cooled Gpu @Ideal and Load temps with OC

Lutfij

Titan
You do realize that you're also going to need to cool the VRM and memory area of a GPU, right? That closed loop cooler strapped onto the GPU is only cooling the GPU chip in the center. The other components also require cooling, which is why the air cooler is designed to cover/expand over the areas where airflow is necessary to keep things cool under operation.

Your primary concern and most logical route for expenses on your system is to get a case, like the Coolermaster N200, that has proper airflow. As it stands you'd probably get more out of having all your components on a table installed atop of a box instead of a case but I mean it sarcastically since the lack of any airflow is what had led to your throttling. In fact the need for an aftermarket air cooler is also moot due to your board not being able to overclock the i7-4790K.

In retrospect, you'd have been fine with the components as is in a case that had proper airflow.

Use the higher capacity ram for the sake of this build though I'd wish you went with a Z97 board instead of an H81. :pfff:

Mind sharing the model for your EVGA GTX1060+the Kingston ram?