[SOLVED] Air Coolers Similar To Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B?

Hi, I've recently ordered a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B cooler, but Amazon is showing that it's out of stock and hasn't shipped yet, even though the order was placed. It may take multiple weeks to get here (or may not get here at all), while the rest of my components will be here this week, so I wanted to see what my other options are.

What coolers are similar to this one?

Here's what's needed:
  • Max height of 170mm
  • AM4 mounting compatability
  • Slanted design to allow any sized RAM (or height adjustable fans)
  • $100 or under, including tax and shipping

My main priority is cooling power, I don't mind noise a whole lot.

I DO mind how it looks though. Noctua's coffee color scheme is SO UGLY and there's no way I'd go for one regardless of cooling power lmao. Any grayscale coloring is preferred except maybe like, all white, so all black or metallic silver or gray.

CPU fan can be standard or LED, as long as it has multicolor support.

Lemme know!

Solution
I'd have to say the Macho is the stronger cooler just from the heatsink size.
http://www.thermalright.com/product/macho-rev-c/ (240w TDP)

Noctua doesn't give exact TDP specifications for their coolers, so it's hard to measure exactly where they stand compared to other coolers.
But if I had to stifle a guess, it's around the level of a be quiet! Dark Rock Slim(180w TDP).

From what I could find, the NH-U12S would have trouble managing the 2700X when overclocked, and in the worst case scenario, where the cpu can pull up to ~175w: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,29.html

I believe the Macho will fit just fine. Google Images shows some builds where it fits.
It's not quite as wide as the Le Grand...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's a good cooler. There's also the Revision C model: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler
The Revision C is shorter than the B model, due to being 'tilted' further back.

Also, the Arctic Freezer 34 esports DUO: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler

Are you trying to cool a Ryzen 3000?

By the way, Noctua does have black options. Some of them may be more than what you're willing to spend for, though.
Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler

Reactions: DrummerManSpike
Are you trying to cool a Ryzen 3000?

Ryzen 7 2700x, with plans to overclock(?) for 3D rendering, and possibly video editing way down the road.

After looking at the options you gave, I narrowed it down to the Rev.C and the NH-U12S.
Do you happen to know which has better performance? I'm having a hard time finding good comparison charts.
Is it similar enough that I'm not losing much by going with the cheaper option?

My only concern popping up is that the back end of the Rev.C might be too long, but I could be wrong. It's attaching to an ATX board inside a Meshify C case, with a 120mm fan (standard 25mm thickness I think? Corsair HD120) for sure going on the back. Are the cooling fins and the fan gonna get in the way of each other?
I can tell that an additional fan wont be an option on the Rev.C if it does fit, and I do like that the Noctua is much smaller and fits a 2nd fan with plenty of space to spare, but I'm not sure how important that'll be in the long run.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd have to say the Macho is the stronger cooler just from the heatsink size.
http://www.thermalright.com/product/macho-rev-c/ (240w TDP)

Noctua doesn't give exact TDP specifications for their coolers, so it's hard to measure exactly where they stand compared to other coolers.
But if I had to stifle a guess, it's around the level of a be quiet! Dark Rock Slim(180w TDP).

From what I could find, the NH-U12S would have trouble managing the 2700X when overclocked, and in the worst case scenario, where the cpu can pull up to ~175w: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,29.html

I believe the Macho will fit just fine. Google Images shows some builds where it fits.
It's not quite as wide as the Le Grand Macho RT, which is 18mm wider, and does not fit in cases without removing the rear fan.

Reactions: DrummerManSpike
Solution