[SOLVED] Air coolin or water

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Hello,
can you please help me?

I would improve my cooling. In this moment i have i7 6700K/4,5Ghz/1.345. i am going to delid my procesor and im going to change the cooler SilentiumPc Fera3.

I have some tips:
Nh-D14 (its a good to cooling i7 6700K/i7 8700K and i7 9700K?)
or arctic liquid freezer II 240 or any another tips?

Thank you for answers
Regards
Lukas

Solution
Those coolers are in quite different price ranges, AFAIK?
The D14 should be around $80 or local equivalent, but I think the Liquid Freezer II is pushing $150?

Realistically, for a delidded 6700K, something like an NH-U12S and ~$60 should be more than sufficient, and a solid step up from what you currently have.

Delidding alone might actually allow the Fera to do the job adequately.

In terms of water vs air in a general sense:
AIOs add an additional point of failure (the pump) and the risk of leaks.
Air coolers, for comparable performance tend to be bulky & potentially impede other components.

Outside of the absolute upper-end of AIOs, you'll always find an air cooler that'll compete and may even better it in terms of noise...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The D14 should be around $80 or local equivalent, but I think the Liquid Freezer II is pushing $150?

Realistically, for a delidded 6700K, something like an NH-U12S and ~$60 should be more than sufficient, and a solid step up from what you currently have.

Air coolers, for comparable performance tend to be bulky & potentially impede other components.

Outside of the absolute upper-end of AIOs, you'll always find an air cooler that'll compete and may even better it in terms of noise.

Personally, I'm not a fan of liquid cooling overall, as air coolers are just as good 99% of the time..... but to each their own.

Solution

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020

Outside of the absolute upper-end of AIOs, you'll always find an air cooler that'll compete and may even better it in terms of noise.

Personally, I'm not a fan of liquid cooling overall, as air coolers are just as good 99% of the time..... but to each their own.

Hello, thank you for information.

I would pick the right cooler to i7 6700K, but in the future i want to buy ´´new´´ procesor i7 9700K with new motherboard, but i want use the same cooler. Is a Nh-D14 good cooler to i7 9700K? When i want to OC...