Air Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBrowne

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hey guys,
I am doing a totally DIY water cooling system and the design I'm using means that the loop is totally air tight.
So my question is am I going to have potential problems with what little cold air there will be trapped in the reservoir expanding as it gets hot and pressurising the system, causing some kind of failure. Especially once pipes become more malleable from the temperature or is the air not going enough to cause a problem?

I know I could just have the loop open but, as far as I'm aware, no one does this for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Nah, what little air is in a loop can't expand enough to cause problems, the flex in the tubes absorbs it easily,
I personally run with Zero air in my loop, but a lot of folks have air in a res without issues,
the better you bleed the system, the better it will perform, as you'll have slightly more water in there, water>air for heat transfer
Moto
Nah, what little air is in a loop can't expand enough to cause problems, the flex in the tubes absorbs it easily,
I personally run with Zero air in my loop, but a lot of folks have air in a res without issues,
the better you bleed the system, the better it will perform, as you'll have slightly more water in there, water>air for heat transfer
Moto

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you notice more air appearing in your reservoir, you either have air that is working it's way out of your loop (good) or you have a leak and lost water is being displaced by air (bad).

Otherwise, you aren't going to get enough expansion in a water loop to cause problems. If you have a turbulent reservoir, keeping it as full as you can will help prevent cavitation and air inclusions.

MoeBrowne

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thats awesome, glad that I don't have to worry about this then.
Yeah well i'm part way through the build now.
Cheers guys, Im sure youll see me again soon with more questions :p

Status
Not open for further replies.