[SOLVED] air flow in my case

Dangiurus

Commendable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi , I have a Segotep Fenix 2 PC case and when I bought it , it came with 2 front fans of 140 mm. I wanna buy some more fans but it says that it can support max 4 fans.

In the back of my case can fit just one 120mm fan and I was wondering it won't be a good airflow if I have two front 140mm fans and only one back fan of 120mm?

My question is if I can put one fan in the ceiling of the case?

View: https://imgur.com/BT5N1UR
this is the ceiling

If you have any other opinions of what I should do , I'm open for everything. Thanks!!!

Solution
doesn't look like there's clearance with the air cooler installed, may not even work with a top radiator
Good point.
iu
That's apparently the Fenix1... I think it's the same chassis though...

IDK... region exclusive products are difficult.
Jan 11, 2020
Hello, Dangiurus!

(I am guessing the front of the case is at the USB 3.0 port so the CPU fan pushes the air through the heatsink and then the the exhaust fan out of the case.)
Can you fit a 140mm fan in the back? If you can, put 1 140mm fan & 1 120mm fan at the front as intake and 1 140mm fan in the back as exhaust. It should create enough air flow and it's always better to have more intake fans.

If you can't: You can either put 1 140mm fan & 1 120mm fan at the front as intake and 1 140mm fan on the top as exhaust. Or just put the 140mm fan at the front and put some cover on top of the case so dust doesn't build up as easily.

Best regards,

Matt!

You can, but I would not.
What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Your front 140mm intake fans will move a lot of air quietly.
Whatever air that comes in the front will exit SOMEWHERE, taking component heat with it.
The main purpose of the rear 120mm exhaust fan is to direct cooling air over the motherboard, cpu and graphics card.

If your front intakes are filtered, your parts will stay clean.

Adding a top exhaust will do two bad things.
  1. It will divert cooling from the cpu to the top, reducing cpu cooling.
  2. A top fan will draw in unfiltered air negating your positive pressure setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Segotep Fenix 2
Looking up some pictures of it...

Front fans are, by default, too close to the front panel. Move them behind the fan bracket = more breathing room for the fans.

Rear: Look up the specs of your cpu cooler's fan. For a rear fan to be effective, it needs to be just as strong - preferably stronger, than the fan on the cpu cooler. Otherwise, it's just getting in the way.

Top: Hmm, you may need to pick your poison on this one.
On one instance, you do nothing with the top. The cpu cooler fan already draws air from the front and top on its own.
In another, you can add 2 top exhausts. The cpu will run a little warmer, but the gpu will run cooler in most situations.
A single top exhaust, perhaps? Doesn't really do anything that the cpu fan doesn't already do. Refer to what I said about the rear fan, plus if you have both a rear and a top fan that close to each other, they can end up fighting each other for air.

If you have a fairly hot gpu, 2 top exhaust will usually be worth the tradeoffs.

Dangiurus

Commendable
Aug 22, 2019
Segotep Fenix 2
Looking up some pictures of it...

Front fans are, by default, too close to the front panel. Move them behind the fan bracket = more breathing room for the fans.

Rear: Look up the specs of your cpu cooler's fan. For a rear fan to be effective, it needs to be just as strong - preferably stronger, than the fan on the cpu cooler. Otherwise, it's just getting in the way.

Top: Hmm, you may need to pick your poison on this one.
On one instance, you do nothing with the top. The cpu cooler fan already draws air from the front and top on its own.
In another, you can add 2 top exhausts. The cpu will run a little warmer, but the gpu will run cooler in most situations.
A single top exhaust, perhaps? Doesn't really do anything that the cpu fan doesn't already do. Refer to what I said about the rear fan, plus if you have both a rear and a top fan that close to each other, they can end up fighting each other for air.

If you have a fairly hot gpu, 2 top exhaust will usually be worth the tradeoffs.

I have an i5-9600k and a deepcool gammaxx 400 red , so , I thought I don't have a good airflow in my pc , sometimes , when I play new games like CoD MW of AC Origins , you get it , it gets hotter and I cant say that my pc is garbage or something ,
cpu: i5-9600k
gpu: rtx 2080 super
ssd: XPG .... something... 512gb
ram: 32 GBs 3200mhz
cooler: deepcool gammaxx 400 red

Dangiurus

Commendable
Aug 22, 2019
Yep. You'll definitely benefit from 2x top exhaust with that card. The cpu may run a little warmer, but the gpu far exceeds it in power consumed anyway; more power = more heat.
Also follow my suggestion about your front fans.
Yeah , but this case can support max 4 fans, so , what should I do ?It already has 2 on front, on the back , it can fit one of 120mm. Should I buy one of 120mm and one of 140mm on top ?

Dangiurus

Commendable
Aug 22, 2019
What does this mean exactly?
I'm looking at the specs right now... and it's not making any sense to me.
Front: 2x 140 or 3x 120mm
Rear: 120mm
There's nothing stated for the top panel at all, yet the spacing appears to be tooled for 140, 120, and 92(?)mm fans? WTH?
Yup , my case came with two front fans of 140mm each , so that's why I came here , I thought that you may help me. Afterall , I saw that my front fans have , if I am right, a max air flow of 35.2 CFM each , accumulated is 70.2 CFM. And I found a fan of 120mm that has a max air flow of 65 CFM and I think that should do the job. What do you think? Should the back fans have lower air flow or the same with the front ones?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I saw that my front fans have , if I am right, a max air flow of 35.2 CFM each , accumulated is 70.2 CFM.
Umm, that's not how that works... If a fan has a CFM 35.2 at 100% speed... 2 of them is also 35.2, not 70.

I found a fan of 120mm that has a max air flow of 65 CFM and I think that should do the job.
https://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2017-01/7_6408.shtml
The fan on the Gammaxx 400 Red is still stronger, so that 120mm fan isn't worth using at the rear.

You're not having any thermal issues anyway:
"my cpu temperature was between 55-65 C and my gpu temperature was between 49-70C"
So you COULD just leave it as it is...

Poppypbr

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
my cpu temperature was between 55-65 C and my gpu temperature was between 49-70 C
Traditional wisdom is to have fans intake in the front and exhaust out the back, intake from the bottom, exhaust out the top. A third method in large cases without a window and with provision for fans is to intake from the side, blowing at the motherboard which replaces intake from the bottom.

Your case literature says an 80 mm, 92 mm or 120 mm fan can be added and I would add it to exhaust out the back. The rather open and unrestricted top of the case gets rid of heat on its own: the hottest air rises there and exits by convection.

It is OK to put a fan on the top to pull air out of the case (exhaust it upwards) if the fan was placed towards the back of the case. That way the air blowing over the motherboard from the two 140 mm front fans would be picked up after it passed over the motherboard and CPU.

I would expect your CPU temp would drop a bit if you used a 120 mm exhausting out the back AND a 120 mm exhausting out the rear corner of the top. The "screen" nature of the top would allow a fan to be bolted easily from underneath if you have sufficient clearance, or bolted on the top with a chrome plated fan cover to keep fingers out.

If you use 3 pin fans that move at 1200 rpm or a little less, the noise should be minimal an unobtrusive. Two 120 mm fans can be purchased for $15 total, My guess is that your motherboard has a pin connector for a rear fan somewhere on the edge of the motherboard along the back of the case. Check your manual or look it up on the internet.

Cooling improvements are creative trail and error in nature. Your CPU temps could stand a little lowering. 60C is ok but you don't want to run hotter than that, Watch out in hot weather and avoid long usage in the heat.

Dangiurus

Commendable
Aug 22, 2019
Traditional wisdom is to have fans intake in the front and exhaust out the back, intake from the bottom, exhaust out the top. A third method in large cases without a window and with provision for fans is to intake from the side, blowing at the motherboard which replaces intake from the bottom.

Your case literature says an 80 mm, 92 mm or 120 mm fan can be added and I would add it to exhaust out the back. The rather open and unrestricted top of the case gets rid of heat on its own: the hottest air rises there and exits by convection.

It is OK to put a fan on the top to pull air out of the case (exhaust it upwards) if the fan was placed towards the back of the case. That way the air blowing over the motherboard from the two 140 mm front fans would be picked up after it passed over the motherboard and CPU.

I would expect your CPU temp would drop a bit if you used a 120 mm exhausting out the back AND a 120 mm exhausting out the rear corner of the top. The "screen" nature of the top would allow a fan to be bolted easily from underneath if you have sufficient clearance, or bolted on the top with a chrome plated fan cover to keep fingers out.

If you use 3 pin fans that move at 1200 rpm or a little less, the noise should be minimal an unobtrusive. Two 120 mm fans can be purchased for $15 total, My guess is that your motherboard has a pin connector for a rear fan somewhere on the edge of the motherboard along the back of the case. Check your manual or look it up on the internet.

Cooling improvements are creative trail and error in nature. Your CPU temps could stand a little lowering. 60C is ok but you don't want to run hotter than that, Watch out in hot weather and avoid long usage in the heat.
View: https://imgur.com/u1bIKZk

this is what you are saying I should do?