[SOLVED] Air moisture destroy motherboard?

Kristian77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
This pass holiday my basement flooded due to water entering from a 6 hour firefighter fight with a fire next door. The water came in but not as much since we took quick action to remove as much water as we could coming in.
I keep my computer above on a table since it there is carpet flooring so my computer didnt get wet.
Since it was a couple days before christmas the carpet company couldnt do much work but to keep the wet carpet there and place a large dehumidifier for moisture control but the carpet remained soaked. Since alot of stuff was still in that room it took a while for us to move stuff out from that rooms. My computer probably being there for a couple days til it was moved out.

I havent turned turn on my computer til now moving back in to my university, since we have to do new construction. I turn it on, it works fine so i kinda used my pc as its normal load as i did before. But i leave on and took a nap and then i woke up to it being off. Thinking it was an update, i turn it on and smoke comes out i quickly unplugged it and ran it again thinking it maybe it wasnt smoke and might have been dust from the cutting of drywall from the construction of the basement. But it turned on and smoke again and now i know it is smoke because of the smell.

I see on the back of my mother board from inspection that it has a small burnt section where there must of been capacitors that are on the bridge left of the CPU on the asrock extreme 3 r2.0 motherboard. This pc is pretty old at 4 and half years.

Question is was the high moisture for a couple days of wet carpet the effect of this happening?

Solution
Check it here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

It sounds like a low class PSU.

Test the PSU with a cheap power supply tester.

Kristian77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Okay from the list of corsiar. It shows as pretty low tier because of age. Is that the only explanation? Because it was running fine with no other issues before this gap of time of non-use. None of the parts are new as i built the whole pc ~4 years ago as
stated.