Question Air or China Water? Ryzen & 5700 XT

Jun 29, 2019
Hello,
I am still being annoyed by the noise of the fans in my case, since it is standing on the table next to me and still sounds like jet, so I turn to you as I need advice how to solve it.

My setup is:
Ryzen 3600 + Gelid Solutions Phantom with 2 fans
MSI X570 Gaming edge WIFI
XFX 5700 XT Thicc II Ultra
SilentiumPC Signum SG1M case with 3 front panel fans and 1 in the back, all Arctic 12cm PWM

Most of the noise is coming from the CPU fans, even after applying Conductonaut on the CPU yesterday(first time using it- pics). The temps haven´t changed a bit, the mounting seems "fine", after tightening the bracket and trying to move the heatsink it is firm and cannot move it, I can see how it is firmly attached to the mobo.
Before with standard thermal grease and after with Conductonaut, I still get temps while stress testing with CPU-Z about 75°C @ 4GHz all core. I think the mounting pressure isn´t sufficient, will try adding some spacers to increase the mounting pressure.

While gaming, the GPU is making the most noise, since it sounds like jet once the temp rises. Mostly the core temp is about 75-85°C and hotspot temp rises up to 95-100°C.
Sometimes I get short stutters/fps drops, most likely once the temp get too high and starts to throttle.

ATM I cannot decide, if I shall go for custom loop with CPU+GPU waterblock with 360 rad from Aliexpress or air CPU cooler like Noctua and Morpheus II.

My budget is about 7000 CZK/ 300$ tops, so EK stuff isn´t for me. I don´t mind the necessary maintenance of the waterloop, but I would like to "hear" other opinions.

Lowest noise, lowest temps and OC headroom are my main priority, since I will have to stick to this HW for long time (family+mortgage), so this is really the last investment for the next 5-7 years.

Waterloop which might be sufficient from Ali is
Barrow LTYK3A-04-V2
FormulaMod Fm-CoRa-BK 360 Rad
Barrow SPG40A-X with the smallest tank
Bykski A-XF5700XTBW-X only fitting waterblock for GPU

Thanks for any tips or opinions

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok mate, here's where your problem lies:

SilentiumPC Signum SG1M
Case with crap airflow. Makes every other cooler work harder for next to nothing.
Gpu suffers the most from this.
Get a more airflow friendly case and the coolers' fans won't have to work as hard.

Liquid cooling is NOT a workaround for this.
Case fans struggling to deal with already poor case airflow + a radiator(s) now? No, it won't help a bit - then you'll also be adding another source of noise, the pump.

XFX 5700 XT Thicc II Ultra
The cooling on this gpu is complete ass. Too much form over function.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwczmQNHVfo

Solve the issue of case and gpu and you'll have fixed your sound issue for much less than wasting more money for no real change on liquid cooling.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To add to the above, don't mistake capacity for ability. The Phantom is (with dual fans) a 200w cooler. That's well over the 100w (ish) that a 3600 can produce. Moving to a Noctua NH-D15/S is only increasing Capacity, upto 250w. That's got nothing to do with the coolers efficiency.

It's most of the reason for the debates over air/liquid cooling, when in fact unless you get into 280mm/360mm aios, the cooling potential is the same according to range. Hyper212 or 120mm aio = same thing, @ 140w. The difference being the fans themselves, some work better than others, more efficient/effective on a given heatsink/rad, so will drop temps a few °C.

So that move won't gain you really much, if anything.

I'm a fan of Conductonaut. Under the IHS, not on top. It requires yearly redo and that's a ah heck to do, and does affect the IHS. It can easily void the cpu warranty.

You have a giant hole on top covered by mesh. Take a wild guess where the cpu cooler is getting its air from. The top. The rear exhaust isn't doing much but remove cpu exhaust and further pulling in air from above. As far as airflow goes, it's a disaster. The front fans do next to nothing. Even less so since you have that nice 'minimalistic' (yes, that's what the M stands for in SG1M) full metal front panel, not the mesh. Couple of decent 120mm on top/rear would work better.

Jun 29, 2019
Well, the GPU was on big sale on black friday way cheaper than others and at the same price level as the blower version, never cared about looks. It´s INSIDE the case, important stuff is on the screen. Same as RGB, useless crap that can break. That is my point of view, but you guys know it much better than me. But I planned to replace the heatsink on GPU since I knew the cooling on it is bad. Even with the added cost of Morpheus it comes out cheaper than other brands or gets better cooling performance with very little added cost. That´s why I got it.

1. Replacing the case to something bigger is sure thing. Most likely I will make my own case and just use the internals of this one(mount points for the mobo), since I want to save money on it. Metal sheets and bolts cost less than the case, crafting in the evenings won´t be issue after the busy 2 months.
  2. What would you recommend on the cooling part? Do you think the case change will be sufficient to keep it cool and quiet or do you think Morpheus would be worth the money?
E:
unless you get into 280mm/360mm aios, the cooling potential is the same according to range
After watching some test I saw that you are able to keep the temps on water very close to 50-60°C in load after reaching equilibrium, but air coolers won´t do that. Since the card and CPU boosts are depending on the temps, wouldn´t be the water, altho chinese, better way to keep it cool and OC capable?
I understand, that the total capacity is almost the same with Gelid + Morpheus, but I haven´t seen test reaching the same core+hotspot temps on the air. Am I wrong or it is simply not worth it?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Replacing the case to something bigger is sure thing. Most likely I will make my own case and just use the internals of this one(mount points for the mobo), since I want to save money on it. Metal sheets and bolts cost less than the case, crafting in the evenings won´t be issue after the busy 2 months.
  2. What would you recommend on the cooling part? Do you think the case change will be sufficient to keep it cool and quiet or do you think Morpheus would be worth the money?
A larger case doesn't automatically translate to better cooling. The case needs to let your hardware 'breathe'.
If you're seriously going to make your own case, don't create the same design flaws as with your current one. Make something along the lines of this: http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400A.html

As for the Morpheus: the efficiency of the cpu and gpu coolers is reduced when the case cooling sucks. You fix the case first, and the overall cooling improves - well, even that won't fix the terrible cooler on the Thicc 2 Ultra though...

Jun 29, 2019
I have a question. Only difference between the Silentium case I have and the Phanteks you have posted above is the front panel. All the other specifications are almost the same. 1x120mm on the back side, 2x 120mm on the top, 3x 120mm in the front. Only thing causing the restriction is the front panel which is full plate instead of perforated one.

So wouldn´t be sufficient breaking the front panel and replacing the full metal sheet with perforated one/ replacing it for dust filter? Just wondering, because that is all what´s different between those 2 cases. Dimensions differ very little. I doubt those 0.22 liter of air make the difference, or does it?
Width 210mm vs Phanteks 210mm
Height 450mm vs Phanteks 465mm
Length 400mm vs 470mm

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So wouldn´t be sufficient breaking the front panel and replacing the full metal sheet with perforated one/ replacing it for dust filter? Just wondering, because that is all what´s different between those 2 cases. Dimensions differ very little. I doubt those 0.22 liter of air make the difference, or does it?
Here you go: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...al-rgb-case-review-airflow-mesh-panel-testing
Tested with P400A front panel(mesh) and with P400 front panel(mostly solid).
1_cpu-only-phanteks-p400-rgb-review.png

3_gpu-only-phanteks-p400-rgb-review.png

IIRC, their test consisted of an I7-6700K + GTX 1080.
The 6700K should be the hotter chip over the Ryzen 3600, and the RX 5700XT hotter than the GTX 1080.