Question Air/water cooler at same price?

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Hi all

I'm building an mATX Ryzen PC (upgraded for first time since 2013), and I'm wondering about the cooler as it's the last component I need (I don't want to spend more than $50 at our current exchange rate to the $, as I'm also saving up for a new bass).

I can get the following cpu coolers for roughly the same price, albeit at different sources:
Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition - $40 (new, 2yr warranty)
Cryorig H7 - $42 (New, 2yr warranty)
Phanteks PH-TC12dx - $42 (new, 5yr warranty)
Corsair H60 - $42 (used, waiting for confirmation if it's the 2018 model, and no warranty)
Corsair H70 - $52 (used, no warranty)
CM ML240L RGB - $52 (like new, 1yr warranty)
What would you suggest? (we don't get Noctua in my country :/ )

System:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450M Mortar
2x4GB 2666MHz RAM
XFX R9 290X DD (oldie, but a goldie)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD
1TB WD HDD
Seasonic M12ii Evo 750W
NZXT H400 Black (+3 120mm fans)

I have never done AIO, in fact my previous cooler was a Hyper 212+ which I've had since 2008 on my previous cpu's (Core 2 Quad Q9550 and i5 4670K), so I'm leaning towards air cooling for their reliability and longevity.
Thus the air coolers are my real headache.
But since those water coolers are roughly the same price, are they worth it?
I won't be overclocking my cpu too much, but I will be gaming and editing, and I like a silent pc (although I think the R9 290X will be drowning out everything else).
My room is always between 10-20°C.

Thanks in advance :)

Alternatively, I can import a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B on Amazon along with some other stuff I can't get locally (bass pickups, strings and a book that I want a hard cover copy of), as it's in the same price range.

Stay away from 120mm aio. I used to own with ryzen an h60 2018 version and after that i went to noctua noctua u12s with same or a bit better temps and fore sure more silent computer. I totally would not risk it to buy a 52$ watercooler with only 1y warranty. If you are gonna buy aio you have to invest more than 100-120$ for something good and trusted. If you have a pc with glass and care about the looks go with hyper 212 rgb but i believe Cryorig H7 is a bit better speaking of performance and temprature.

Reactions: WhoIsJOB

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Stay away from 120mm aio. I used to own with ryzen an h60 2018 version and after that i went to noctua noctua u12s with same or a bit better temps and fore sure more silent computer. I totally would not risk it to buy a 52$ watercooler with only 1y warranty. If you are gonna buy aio you have to invest more than 100-120$ for something good and trusted. If you have a pc with glass and care about the looks go with hyper 212 rgb but i believe Cryorig H7 is a bit better speaking of performance and temprature.

That's what I read, but those ones had good reviews. But then the AIO's are out of the picture.

How is the Phanteks? That 5yr warranty is very appealing, but I can't get recent reviews on its performance with today's CPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Cryorig H7 and Phanteks PH-TC12dx are the best of the aircoolers, the hyper212 really isn't any different from what you have now, same heatsink, slightly improved fan (it's quieter).

All the 120mm coolers, aio and air, are roughly the same 140w capacity, so it boils down to efficiency of the cooler design and effectiveness of the fans as to which are slightly lower or higher in temps and noise.

That's what I read, but those ones had good reviews. But then the AIO's are out of the picture.

How is the Phanteks? That 5yr warranty is very appealing, but I can't get recent reviews on its performance with today's CPUs.
If i have to sort the coolers you list from the better performance to the worst it would be Phanteks PH-TC12dx -> Cryorig H7 -> Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition . Also warranty does not matter that much to aircoolers. If your fan is broken you can buy to your near store. If a pump of an aio is broken then there is nothing you can do. Its not that common but aio can also leak especially the cheap ones and destroy other components if the pc is running at the time.

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
If i have to sort the coolers you list from the better performance to the worst it would be Phanteks PH-TC12dx -> Cryorig H7 -> Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition . Also warranty does not matter that much to aircoolers. If your fan is broken you can buy to your near store. If a pump of an aio is broken then there is nothing you can do. Its not that common but aio can also leak especially the cheap ones and destroy other components if the pc is running at the time.

What about the CM MasterAir 410P?
It's slightly cheaper than both the Cryorig H7 and Phanteks.

I'm leaning toward the Phanteks, atm.

What about the CM MasterAir 410P?
It's slightly cheaper than both the Cryorig H7 and Phanteks.

I'm leaning toward the Phanteks, atm.
If you care about performance get the h7 or Phanteks PH-TC12dx . They are the same money so go for Phanteks its a bit better and have more warranty. Ryzen 5 3600 with current bios get really hot. With noctua u12s my 3600 sitting around 50C when simple browsing the web and 75C at full load so the better performance cooler you can buy it will help.

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
If you care about performance get the h7 or Phanteks PH-TC12dx . They are the same money so go for Phanteks its a bit better and have more warranty. Ryzen 5 3600 with current bios get really hot. With noctua u12s my 3600 sitting around 50C when simple browsing the web and 75C at full load so the better performance cooler you can buy it will help.

I was about to say there's a sweet deal on a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 for about $27, which I want to get.
But if it really gets that hot I'll probably hit the Phanteks.