Question AirCon makes clicking noise, monitor gets "white noise lines" and goes black for a few seconds. Monitor and PC are connected to a UPS. Is the PC safe?

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I've had this issue previously except I didn't have a UPS, but now I do and this still happens, albeit not as often.

The monitor and PC are both connected directly to the ups. The UPS is connected directly to the wall. When the air conditioner makes a clicking noise the monitor goes blank for a few seconds while showing white static lines. PC seems unaffected by this. I have the ups sitting quite close to the monitor so maybe that's an issue(?)

Specs: Rog strix 650W PSU Rx 6650 xt I5-11400 1080p 144hz monitor

UPS: Aviem Pro Gen3 (1000VA/600W)

I'm concerned as to whether or not the UPS is doing its job in protecting the PC from the (what I assume are) voltage spikes caused by the AC. Would be grateful for any response!

Something else connected to the UPS?

Does it only show this error while you do intense work/gaming or while just idling as well?

Might be a problem with the 144Hz monitor and the GPU. A better cable could work or a different monitor. Your PC should be fine.
switching to battery 2-6 ms typical, 10ms max. can be the culprit in combination with this monitor

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I've had this issue previously except I didn't have a UPS, but now I do and this still happens, albeit not as often.

The monitor and PC are both connected directly to the ups. The UPS is connected directly to the wall. When the air conditioner makes a clicking noise the monitor goes blank for a few seconds while showing white static lines. PC seems unaffected by this. I have the ups sitting quite close to the monitor so maybe that's an issue(?)

Specs: Rog strix 650W PSU Rx 6650 xt I5-11400 1080p 144hz monitor

UPS: Aviem Pro Gen3 (1000VA/600W)

I'm concerned as to whether or not the UPS is doing its job in protecting the PC from the (what I assume are) voltage spikes caused by the AC. Would be grateful for any response!
BAsed on your description, I'd say that the UPS is not responding fast enough. I note that it's power rating is less than that of your power supply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Clicking noise from the air conditioner is the line contactors turning on the power to the unit. (Otherwise your thermostat would have to have the full runs to switch the AC)

This is going to create a temporary voltage sag.

Your PC is fine because the PSU had large enough capacitors to handle the temporary sag. Your monitor likely doesn't.

I agree, your UPS is not fast enough to catch the sag, which is a poor sign for any UPS.

It is also possible your AC unit's power wires are running very close to the monitor and this is interference. My brother used to have this problem when we used a CRT back in the day. AC running would make his screen wobble.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
could that be an issue? although as much as I'm aware my PC draws less than that.
would you say that this could damage the PC?
An answer would be pure speculation. No way to know if it would damage your pc, and if it did become damaged, one could not draw any conclusion about the cause. With most troubleshooting problems, the only way to know if a part is defective is to replace it with a known good part. The exception to this is when one can see visible damage, such as overheating. One could observe the power with an oscilloscope at the time the problem occurs, but most do not have access to a scope, or do not have the knowledge to use it. But, again, even if you saw aberrations on the waveform, the only way to prove a diagnosis is by replacement.

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Clicking noise from the air conditioner is the line contactors turning on the power to the unit. (Otherwise your thermostat would have to have the full runs to switch the AC)

This is going to create a temporary voltage sag.

Your PC is fine because the PSU had large enough capacitors to handle the temporary sag. Your monitor likely doesn't.

I agree, your UPS is not fast enough to catch the sag, which is a poor sign for any UPS.

It is also possible your AC unit's power wires are running very close to the monitor and this is interference. My brother used to have this problem when we used a CRT back in the day. AC running would make his screen wobble.
I see, well I appreciate you taking your time to answer, perhaps you might be right about the UPS since it was less than 90 bucks. but either way it's staying lol