Airflow/Fan Placement for Thermaltake V21. Help, please.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello. I have these components:

Thermaltake V21

Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H

i5 6500

EVGA 650W Semi-Modular

16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM

I am having a bit of a hard time figuring out how many fans I need to put in the case, the placement and the proper air flow. I am using the stock cooler and I will not be overclocking anything, at all, ever :).

Can any of you help me out with my issue?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Solution
Air cooled box:

1. Mount fans as follows:

Top = Exhaust
Front = Intake
Side = Intake
Bottom = Intake
Rear = Exhaust

2. make sure all fans have inlet air filters

3. Figure one 140mm fan per 75 - 125 watts of load / one 120mm fan per 55-95 watts of TDP load.

4. Always have more intake fans than exhaust. Remember that inlet fans will have their performance restricted by air filters... you can lose as much as 1/3 of your air flow from a "clean filter". There is no "need" to actually have exhaust fans; the rear case grilles can well serve as exhaust but no you will benefit from using any fan mounts on the rear of the case. You do NOT want any intakes on the rear as these will suck in hot air exhaust from PSU and vid cards.

Air cooled box:

1. Mount fans as follows:

Top = Exhaust
Front = Intake
Side = Intake
Bottom = Intake
Rear = Exhaust

2. make sure all fans have inlet air filters

3. Figure one 140mm fan per 75 - 125 watts of load / one 120mm fan per 55-95 watts of TDP load.

4. Always have more intake fans than exhaust. Remember that inlet fans will have their performance restricted by air filters... you can lose as much as 1/3 of your air flow from a "clean filter". There is no "need" to actually have exhaust fans; the rear case grilles can well serve as exhaust but no you will benefit from using any fan mounts on the rear of the case. You do NOT want any intakes on the rear as these will suck in hot air exhaust from PSU and vid cards.

5. For radiators on top, front, bottom and sides ... fans should be intake; cool ambient air can cool twice as well as interior case air. Aire tempos behind the case are oft hotter than interior case air, so measure the air temp before deciding.

Solution