Question Airflow improvement

Arikello

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
Hello all. I just finished to build a PC with my old components. But. I'm worried about airflow because my temps are realy bad in stress test with prime95.

I need ideas because I don't know why my temps are so high without overclock.

I have 2 fans in the cooler. Cooler master 212 with 2 jetflo 120.
I have 4 case fan. One rear. One on top( 2 exhaust) and 2 intake in the front of the case

Hardware list:
Asus sabertooth z87
i7 4790k
Ram 4x4 Kingston hyper x with 2 jetflo 120
Cpu cooler hyper 212 evo
VGA r9 270x with accelero twin turbo III
Case: urban mid tower thermal take
Fans: 2 shark 120 mm. And 2 stock case fans ( no idea of the name)

Photos here : View: https://imgur.com/a/0mhvHdP

What VERSION of Prime95 are you running? You should ONLY run version 26.6 which does not use AVX instructions, if you are testing for thermal compliance.

You can download that version here:

http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

What temps are you seeing while running Prime95? What is the maximum temperature recorded?

Are you SURE that both fans on the CPU cooler are facing the correct direction, moving air from front to back on both with arrows both pointing to the back of the case and not both blowing towards the center of the heatsink?

Can you post an image of the top of the cooler showing both fans orientation?

Arikello

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
What VERSION of Prime95 are you running? You should ONLY run version 26.6 which does not use AVX instructions, if you are testing for thermal compliance.

You can download that version here:

http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

What temps are you seeing while running Prime95? What is the maximum temperature recorded?

Are you SURE that both fans on the CPU cooler are facing the correct direction, moving air from front to back on both with arrows both pointing to the back of the case and not both blowing towards the center of the heatsink?

Can you post an image of the top of the cooler showing both fans orientation?

Yes. I'm running prime 95 266
Maximum temp was 99 C°. Then I changed thermal compound. ( I put MX-4)

Yes. Both evo 212 fans are moving air from front to back.

Let me take a photo after I go out of my job.

And what are the temps AFTER you changed thermal compound?

Since you have the 212 EVO, I'd recommend that you read this guide I wrote a few years back.

Arikello

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
And what are the temps AFTER you changed thermal compound?

Since you have the 212 EVO, I'd recommend that you read this guide I wrote a few years back.

Maximum 80 C°

80°C is "acceptable", but not good, considering you are not overclocking. It's pretty high for stock configuration.

Also, you didn't snip off the tops of any of those heatpipes sticking out the top of the CPU cooler did you? I've seen a number of people do this to try and make the cooler fit inside a case that is too small.

The fans you have installed are probably good enough to at least supply a decent amount of cool air so long as they are actually facing the correct directions. Front should be intake, bringing air into the case, while top and rear should be exhaust taking hot air out. Verify that they ARE in fact oriented properly, and if they are, then I doubt your problem is related to a lack of airflow through the case, but if you are in doubt you can simply take off the side panel and re-test the CPU with Prime.

If your maximum temperature drops from what you saw previously, testing with the side panel ON, then you are not getting enough airflow through the case. If it stays the same, then the case fans are not the issue.

What are your temperatures at idle?
I would expect 10-15c. over ambient if you mounted the 212 properly.
The cooler needs to be tightened down evenly to work properly.
I do not much like the hyper212 except for the price.
It is nasty to install properly and is not particularly efficient.

Looking at the photos, can you open up some airflow in the bottom HDD cage?

A stress test running at 85c. is about right.
Many of the stress testers are built to generate heat, not to simulate actual usage.
The Processor will downclock or shut off to prevent damage if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
If you run at 75c. under your normal workload, that is about right.

If you want to do better, you have two choices.

1. You can increase the front intake capability by replacing the fans with higher rpm versions to get more cooling air into the case.
This will increase noise.

2. You can install a better cooler. The Noctua NH-D15s will fit and is as good as it gets. About $80.

Arikello

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
What are your temperatures at idle?
I would expect 10-15c. over ambient if you mounted the 212 properly.
The cooler needs to be tightened down evenly to work properly.
I do not much like the hyper212 except for the price.
It is nasty to install properly and is not particularly efficient.

Looking at the photos, can you open up some airflow in the bottom HDD cage?

Im reusing all the components of old rigs, my main rig RIP.

In the HDD cage i have 2 SSD and one HDD, i cant open way for airflow,
maybe a more poerfull fan?

Allan is right. For use of the same memory kit in each dual channel channel, you need to populate slots 1 and 3 with the black kit and slots 2 and 4 with the red kit. So I'd put the red kit in the A2 and B2 slots (DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for some boards) which are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU socket and will allow those two SAME modules to be in the two slots that allow them to work together, and the black sticks in the remaining two slots. You want to always keep memory in the same dual channel slots when possible if they are two stick kits.