[SOLVED] Airflow inside PC case

stap_ice

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
I'm planning in changing CPU Air cooling to Water cooling (AIO). I have a doubts regarding the airflow within the case.

So normally, without the radiator, the cool air that is drawn inside (from front panel) is able to be utilized by the GPU. Now, if I install AIO with 3 fans along with the radiator, will the cool air be restricted or reduced by the radiator, thus decreasing airflow to the GPU.
Or would mounting 2 fans AIO on top be the best solution in order to avoid the above doubt.

Lastly, a recommendation about the airflow setup would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Now, if I install AIO with 3 fans along with the radiator, will the cool air be restricted or reduced by the radiator, thus decreasing airflow to the GPU.
Of course. It's still an obstacle for airflow.
The greater the obstacle is and greater the number, the weaker the air pressure becomes when going around or through said obstacles. Then you'll have to make up for that with stronger fans, or make compromises elsewhere.

If front mounting AIO:
A)High airflow mesh panel: set fans to push air through the rad.

B)Closed, or more restricted panel: set fans to pull air through the rad.
*If possible, position the rad with the tubing entering it from the bottom. These devices are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present in the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now, if I install AIO with 3 fans along with the radiator, will the cool air be restricted or reduced by the radiator, thus decreasing airflow to the GPU.
Of course. It's still an obstacle for airflow.
The greater the obstacle is and greater the number, the weaker the air pressure becomes when going around or through said obstacles. Then you'll have to make up for that with stronger fans, or make compromises elsewhere.

If front mounting AIO:
A)High airflow mesh panel: set fans to push air through the rad.

B)Closed, or more restricted panel: set fans to pull air through the rad.
*If possible, position the rad with the tubing entering it from the bottom. These devices are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present in the loop.
By positioning the rad as suggested above, the pump will push the air bubbles/pockets in the rad, where it will then rise to the other end and get trapped there - that's where you want it.
If forced to run 'tubing top', then It means the pump will be exposed to air at times and might not last as long

Top mounted rad isn't as specific as front mounted.

Lastly, a recommendation about the airflow setup would be appreciated.
You haven't said what's containing your hardware.

Solution