Airflow question again.

Brandon Salveson

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
So I posted some pics of my build on a forum and am getting trashed about my airflow
(and the split PCI-E connectors for the GPU) but that's another discussion.

Anyway
All 6 fans are 1200RPM (locked)

https://imgur.com/a/NRil3u0

is this non-efficient?
someone told me to make the top fans Push not pull will this actually help?

any suggestions? Faster fans?

thanks all.

Solution
Anything you've asked can be tested and see real world results instead of debated. We can still debate theoretical setups anyways if you want.

The first scenario is ignoring the other case fans so the ram has plenty of airflow across it taking into account the air coming in from the other fans. The front top and top front fan does have a rather short and almost useless air route but it still is helping front to back/top case airflow and gets some hot air from the cpu cooler. The in air temp is likely not hot enough (as mentioned) to make a difference so there is no difference from "fresh" air if the top were intake vs the front intake air which isn't going over any hot components before making it's way to the the cpu. You can change...
That's how it's supposed to be. Front intake. Rear, top exhaust. The fans can probably be slower. With 4+ fans, they can be on low with a good case and you will likely see no change in temps vs high. Also there is no push/pull when there is nothing to push/pull against. It's simply intake/exhaust.

As for the pcie cable, that's fine. All 12v are likely on the same rail so it makes no difference which cable it's on.

Brandon Salveson

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

This is the answer someone gave me earlier.

So basically that front top fan is killing airflow across your RAM. Assuming the front-top and the top-right are running at the same RPM and have the same CFM, almost all of that air is being exhausted directly out of the top of the case.
Second, having the top-left fan on a pull is taking some air away from your CPU fan cooler, but is also pulling some hot air away from the VRMs and the CPU block.
Personally I would run the two top fans in push, giving you fresh air over your VRMs and RAM, and into the CPU cooler. I'd then run the exhaust fan at its highest RPM to compensate for the positive pressure increase. This would then take you from a balanced/positive pressure system to a mid-positive pressure system.

is there any truth to this at all?

Brandon Salveson

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I understand what you wrote above. and there was no need to write it a second time.

I was asking if there was Any truth to the above quoted post I put.
I mean people spout this stuff for a reason yes?
I can find 50 posts online right now that tell me that I MUST use 2 pci-e connectors for my GPU and 50 that say its fine.

I was merely seeking more knowledge you didn't need to go there.

Your post also didn't answer the of the other parts of the question like should I get faster fans.

Anything you've asked can be tested and see real world results instead of debated. We can still debate theoretical setups anyways if you want.

The first scenario is ignoring the other case fans so the ram has plenty of airflow across it taking into account the air coming in from the other fans. The front top and top front fan does have a rather short and almost useless air route but it still is helping front to back/top case airflow and gets some hot air from the cpu cooler. The in air temp is likely not hot enough (as mentioned) to make a difference so there is no difference from "fresh" air if the top were intake vs the front intake air which isn't going over any hot components before making it's way to the the cpu. You can change the fan setup to how you described and see if it helps. You can also prove if you need faster fans by testing low speed vs high speed temps.

As far as any change in setup I would do, the face down cooler would be my first change. That style helps vrm temp but it causes hot air to recirculate and disrupts case airflow. Tests show the vrm still have sufficient airflow with tower coolers. Also again intake/exhaust is not the same thing as push/pull.

The thing about the internet is any kid and their uncle can post whatever they want. People will google and try to answer a question they know nothing about. It happens all the time here as with any other place or topic I've seen.

Solution