Question Airgapped NVME M.2 SSD heatsink in Laptop - what to do?

Dec 14, 2022
Howdy folks, looking to get some help with cooling problems I've seen recently with my NVME M2 SSDs.

I currently have an HP Omen 17 cb-t100 laptop with two SSDs - a primary boot drive (Samsung mzvlb512hbjq-000h1, 500GB, came with laptop) and a secondary drive for running games and other programs I don't need on my boot drive ( Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB, recently added myself). I've been noticing high SSD temps lately for both drives (70+, sometimes even 80+ °C ) which has occasionally caused stuttering in game and warnings from my computer. I originally suspected it might have been an issue with dusty fans, so I went and cleaned them out yesterday.

When I was cleaning out my fans, I noticed a decent air gap between my primary boot drive and the thermal heat sink along with the secondary drive's controller chip and the thermal heat sink (this seems to be a known problem with the Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus, due to a difference in thickness between the controller chip and the memory chip). The SSD heatsink that came with my laptop is directly connected over the two drives. I've attached some pictures below for reference to help illustrate the problem.

I'm not really sure how I should address this problem. I've considered literally cutting the ssd heatsink in half (so that each half is independent from the other half and can rest snuggly as needed), or buying new independent heatsinks (e.g. see here). It's funny (and telling) that the manual for my laptop indicates (via graphics) independent heatsinks. I could start stacking thermal pads, but I don't know if that's the best way to approach this problem. Any advice?