Airplane Cargo Holds Can Be Too Hot for Li-Ion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
These regulators are slightly overzealous...

Li-Ion batteries only ignite at fairly high temperatures (around 600 C), which I doubt will be reached in a cargo room. Defective batteries are of course far more prone to ignition (due to thermal runaway), but how many people take a defective battery with them?

Okay, terrorists and really stupid people might, but we can't forbid everything... When will people and governments learn to accept that you cannot prevent everything? Sometimes, a marginal bit of safety does not outweigh a loss of freedom and convenience.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
the plane in Dubai crashed right after take off... The batteries couldnt've ignited in such a short period of time, unless it was in the plane for a few days already

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
[citation][nom]beamthegreat[/nom]lol?[/citation]

dude stop loling at the first post of each story. Its really anoying. u have loled at a plane crashing, at a disabled boy using an ipad, and at a translation app. NONE OF THOSE ARE FUNNY.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]calinkula[/nom]beamthegreat's Troll-spell hits samdsox.beamthegreat, roll 2d10 + 3 for damage.[/citation]

INTERNET HACKS!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
i agree. Better safe than sorry. And you won't know what terrorists will do....maybe they hide leaked lithium-ion batteries inside Everyready bunnies and make some timer to leak it and set to detonate or something. Who knows.

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I thought the cargo hold of airplanes was cold. I was sure I read a article talking about pets in the cargo hold, is it safe for them because it's very cold when at altitude.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldeknob[/nom]I thought the cargo hold of airplanes was cold. I was sure I read a article talking about pets in the cargo hold, is it safe for them because it's very cold when at altitude.[/citation]
Ditto. What causes heat in the cargo hold? Ambient temperatures building up on a hot day somewhere?

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]These regulators are slightly overzealous...Li-Ion batteries only ignite at fairly high temperatures (around 600 C.... but we can't forbid everything... When will people and governments learn to accept that you cannot prevent everything? Sometimes, a marginal bit of safety does not outweigh a loss of freedom and convenience.[/citation]
go to youtube and search lithium ion battery fires, like the kind apple uses or cameras or just about any laptop. all it takes is way too much overcharging and then your luggage bag is full of nice combustibles in a flying coffin with a limited oxygen supply which incidentally will only make the fire burn hotter and faster. when at high altitude if the fire doesn't get you first asphixiation will. it will all be over in a few minutes as that plane will not be able to get to the ground fast enough. if that doesn't bother you you must have a parachute in your carry on bag?

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]squallypie[/nom]the plane in Dubai crashed right after take off... The batteries couldnt've ignited in such a short period of time, unless it was in the plane for a few days already[/citation]

what happens when you get locked into a non-ventilated metal box on a 90-110º day? just sayin. batteries don't have sweat glands.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Goldeknob[/nom]I thought the cargo hold of airplanes was cold. I was sure I read a article talking about pets in the cargo hold, is it safe for them because it's very cold when at altitude.[/citation]
cargo holds are cold when at high altitude, which is why the pilots turn on a heater in the cargo hold. the cargo hold doesn't need air conditioning as it's not typically holding anything living. so unless they are flying ice cream or puppy dogs the temp is what ever is outside except on the ground, then it's a locked metal box, and in dubai it was probably a 114ºF day with a typical bright sunny day beating down on all that nice metallic aircraft skin making it into a nightmare of a sweatbox.

f-14

Distinguished
Those Silly Rules, Explained

“We don’t make you stow your laptop because we’re worried about electronic interference. It’s about having a projectile on your lap. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to get hit in the head by a MacBook going 200-400 miles per hour.” -Patrick Smith

“People don’t understand why they can’t use their cell phones. Well, what can happen is 12 people will decide to call someone just before landing, and I can get a false reading on my instruments saying that we are higher than we really are.” -Jim Tilmon

“We’re not trying to ruin your fun by making you take off your headphones. We just want you to be able to hear us if there’s an emergency.” -Patrick Smith
http://www.rd.com/home-garden/50-secrets-your-pilot-wont-tell-you/article186583-1.html

[citation][nom]c0r3f1ght3r[/nom]take a fuckin chance will ya!?!? -george carlin[/citation]
+1 man, i had to watch that all over again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFW6NHbWX0E

Status
Not open for further replies.