AirVPN Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my PC, using the PIA client, I only go down less than 10mb. I get 100mb/s without VPN, 92mb/s with VPN. The problem is trying to get it running on a router, then the speeds drop down to 20-30mbs. Router CPU's just can't handle VPN's with full speed yet. Sucks because I rather my router is VPN'd, then everything that connects goes through that connection. Most VPN's don't give you like 30 accounts and when you have a ton of devices in your house, it sucks. Also things like chromecast, roku's, etc, can't connect to a VPN directly without using a router, then I loose 70mb/s.

Someone needs to make a VPN router. lol.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'm a little surprised to see this article. I just finished a free three-day trial of AirVPN last night.

I've been testing out multiple VPNs over the past year, and I've gone from TorGuard to Private Internet Access, to IPVanish. All three of those were "Meh" in terms of the quality of their services.

Then I tried AirVPN, and no pun intended, I was blown away. It had a proper client, lots and lots of transparency, stability, and best of all, speed.

The other VPNs have been pretty inconsistent speed wise. IPVanish in particular was a bit odd. I did a speed test, and the speeds appeared amazing. However, in practice, I got much less than that on downloads. It could have been coincidence, considering how much that service lost connection, but it still seems a little shady.

All in all though, I'm going to be purchasing a quarterly subscription to AirVPN later today.

JacFlasche

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Well Tom's suggestion that PIA was a good service was totally wrong if you are interested in actual P2P speed. As I said in my response to the other article my actual download speed is 15 times faster over iPredator than the damn PIA account I bought on your advice. Unless you do download tests with actual movie files, what does it matter what the speed is, if the service is downgrading or filtering P2P activity. I tried every connection on PIA and the best I could get on a popular movie over P2P was 23Kb compared to over 600 on iPredator.

What do you think the average person uses VPN for? It sure as hell ain't playing games online.

Do a real test with a download over P2P

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

I can confirm that P2P downloading is extremely fast with AirVPN. They don't throttle it. During my three day trial, I downloaded ~80GB of files via torrents. They weren't the most popular in the world, with only a handful of seeders each, but I got on average around 3-5 MB/s download speed, which leads me to believe they don't throttle it at all. I was lucky get get 800KB/s with the others.

paolob

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
There is a critical mistake in the article, ToineF is right... when you click on the AirVPN logo or in the "Buy" icon you are directed to a totally different VPN web site which has nothing to do with AirVPN! The correct web site is airvpn.org

bastien_

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I'm a long time user of AirVPN (5+ years now) and really love them.

They are extremely responsive and helpful when you need them, i contacted them 3/4 times since using the service and have received detailed answers fixing my issues within a few hours.

I also really appreciate that they are operating with the healthy amount of paranoia you want to see in someone you trust with your privacy, and it seems to me that this is the #1 concern in everything they do.

They listen to their users and opened a server in a country they didn't cover when a handful of users (me included) asked for a way to bypass geo blocking.

With regard to the DNS leaks management comments in the article, i think they actually do a solid job. They operate ipleak.net, just go to the ipleak site at any time to see if you have DNS leaks or not. If you do it provides recommendations (for anyone, not just their users). And if you enable the network lock option which is front and center on the client, this should take care of it anyway.

Also love the fact their client works on Android and iOS devices, it's great when traveling.
Great service at the right price in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.