AIW9700Pro

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I have a AIW9700Pro AGP card running on a Gigabyte GA8-INXP MB which when I set the bios to auto(8xagp) crashes WinXP to black screen reboot after a while. I've waited for drivers to fix this for about a year but no help. When I run it in 4xAGP, the system is completely stable. The other day I disabled "fast write" in Smartgart and now the system doesn't crash even in 8xagp mode. My question is what is "fast write" and why doesn't it work? FYI, I only have one DDR400 512MB ram chip in the system currently.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel chipsets often have a problem with FastWrite. Well, supposedly it allows the GPU to write directly from the CPU without going through RAM (or was it access textures directly from RAM without going through the CPU?). Anyway, it's not much of a performance enhancement, but AGP8x gives you a 0% gain as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
What do you mean when you say, you get 0% performance gain with 8xAGP? I would have thought it was better than 4xAGP. The Pro Race Driver game I use looks better in multicar crashes at 8x, it's about all I have to go by.
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9700 Pro doesn't use AGP8x bandwidth. Nor do current nVidia cards. These cards only need AGP4x for peak performance. The only reason these cards use AGP8x is for bragging rights.

In fact, you can get cards based on 3 year old technology that now support AGP8x mode. Would you expect a 3 year old card to benifit though? It's just a marketing gimmick at this point, by the time AGP8x transfers are needed, AGP will already be an outdated interface, replaced by a new standard called PCI-Express.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>