Review Akasa Gecko SSD Heatsink Review: A blower cooler for an SSD

This is probably irrelevant but since its a blower cooler I'm curious as to whether the blower output is towards the rear of the case or towards the front of the case. I'm guessing its towards the rear where most warmer air is exhausted. And I really appreciate the chart!

Albert.Thomas

Notable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
This is probably irrelevant but since its a blower cooler I'm curious as to whether the blower output is towards the rear of the case or towards the front of the case. I'm guessing its towards the rear where most warmer air is exhausted. And I really appreciate the chart!
It can be used in either direction

Reactions: dwd999

Albert.Thomas

Notable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
You must not have watched much of the coverage from the latest computex. A number of the youtube channels that covered it were laughing about water cooling SSD. Not sure if they were prototype things or you could actually buy them but there were multiple vendors that had them on display.
I'm expecting to receive TeamGroup's SSD AIO in the near future

Reactions: Amdlova

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
For a m.2 heatsink that will handle passive and active cooling, they should consider making something similar to a older air cooler such as the Scythe Orochi which was a moderately sized cooler designed to strike a balance between passive and active cooling. If they could give it a longer cold plate, along with more of an offset design to space closer to the front of the case, it may work decently for some of the PCIe 5.0 SSDs. Furthermore, it would also allow for more fan options for an SSD.

OLtLc5U.jpeg
Ta0dXM6.jpeg

MobileJAD

Prominent
May 15, 2023
To be honest I'm still running a older Ryzen motherboard and won't have to worry about heat and cooling issues from PCIe 5.0 or 6.0 when it comes to NVME devices, and as such I can't say I'm too familiar with the M.2 slot placement on such motherboards, but I can say that I've personally only encountered one motherboard that placed the primary M.2 slot between the first 16x slot and the CPU socket, thus avoiding having the GPU directly covering it. Do most PCIe 5.0 motherboards put them between the GPU and the CPU? I however have seen some motherboards try to put the slot further away from the PCIe expansion slots, near the chipset or even by the DDR ram slots. Now that large heatsinks and active cooling are becoming a requirement to use high end PCIe 5.0 NVME devices, will motherboard manufactures be able to decide on M.2 slot placement where it can be reasonably guaranteed not to interfere with GPU or CPU coolers?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
While PCI-E speed is increasing over time, I feel PCI-E 5.0 SSDs are going to hit a brick wall in terms of adoption. The reason is because it seems most PCI-E 5.0 SSDs require bigger passive cooling solution, or an active one like this one. As a result, most if not all laptops sold, still stick to PCI-E 4.0 SSDs. So I believe adoption rate of PCI-E 5.0 SSDs are still quite low. Data center may not have this limitation, but I am not sure if the higher sequential transfer rate is beneficial for data center type of load/ use case to warrant companies paying more for it.

Nov 20, 2023
wait for water cooling block xD
Wait for? More like been out for a couple year already!

https://shop.alphacool.com/en/shop/...ater-m.2-nvme-2280-ssd-mcx-version?currency=3

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/alphacool-launches-the-hdx-pro-water-m2-2280-ssd-cooler

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/cus...es-xm2-m-2-ssd-water-block-2280-cx-9029002-ww
You must not have watched much of the coverage from the latest computex. A number of the youtube channels that covered it were laughing about water cooling SSD. Not sure if they were prototype things or you could actually buy them but there were multiple vendors that had them on display.
Definitely funny. Roman from der8auer was even making fun of an XPG SSD water cooler, saying that it wouldn't work with the design they had since the water wasn't traveling properly.

Jul 1, 2024
This is absolutely a godsend for my company! We're limited by the thermals on our m.2 drives so with this we can overcome a hurdle that's been plaguing us for a while! We have been using Sabrent Rockets thus far and they have been ok, but this looks way better!

Reactions: Albert.Thomas
Nov 20, 2023
This is absolutely a godsend for my company! We're limited by the thermals on our m.2 drives so with this we can overcome a hurdle that's been plaguing us for a while! We have been using Sabrent Rockets thus far and they have been ok, but this looks way better!
Be sure to take a look at a few of the others in the charts. There are a few different form factors and styles. I personally have HR-10 Pros from thermalright. Arctic has some supposed godsent passive coolers coming out soon too. I say this because they compare to the HR-10 Pro's performance.

Jul 1, 2024
Be sure to take a look at a few of the others in the charts. There are a few different form factors and styles. I personally have HR-10 Pros from thermalright. Arctic has some supposed godsent passive coolers coming out soon too. I say this because they compare to the HR-10 Pro's performance.
Read my mind, sent a snapshot of the temperature graph with all the competitors to my IT team already!

Albert.Thomas

Notable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
I'm glad to hear this review was useful for you! Can you tell me a little bit more about your use case? Are these servers?

Jul 1, 2024
I'm glad to hear this review was useful for you! Can you tell me a little bit more about your use case? Are these servers?
My company is in the VFX industry, we use our m.2 drives to capture high resolution images of cast, props and sets for movies and TV series. Using our latest rig we are attempting to capture essentially 48FPS per camera - so 13(cams) x 35MB(per frame) x 48(fps) = 21.84GB per second of footage. In order to shoot for sustained periods of time we need to actively cool our M.2 drives so as not to have performance drop off after sustained shooting periods! Our drives are mounted in 4U rack mounted PCs that are strategically placed around the camera rig.

For a m.2 heatsink that will handle passive and active cooling, they should consider making something similar to a older air cooler such as the Scythe Orochi which was a moderately sized cooler designed to strike a balance between passive and active cooling. If they could give it a longer cold plate, along with more of an offset design to space closer to the front of the case, it may work decently for some of the PCIe 5.0 SSDs. Furthermore, it would also allow for more fan options for an SSD.

OLtLc5U.jpeg
Ta0dXM6.jpeg

there are many thermalright nvme coolers that are heatpipe designed and tall the issue is there isnt a huge amount of room between pci slot and cpu cooler