AKG C-414 B-ULS TL II - Intermitant noise problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi everyone,

I've got an AKG C-414 B-ULS TL II with a noise problem.

I'm getting sound, through but with a little more hiss and the
biggest problem is every few seconds there's like a "pumping"
noise that'll happen 1-4 times, then stops and does it again after
a bit. It doesn't happen at regular intervals....

Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Has anybody has this happen before?

Perhaps the 2 large Caps are going?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mario

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:38:06 -0500, "Vortex" <nospam@overhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've got an AKG C-414 B-ULS TL II with a noise problem.
>
>I'm getting sound, through but with a little more hiss and the
>biggest problem is every few seconds there's like a "pumping"
>noise that'll happen 1-4 times, then stops and does it again after
>a bit. It doesn't happen at regular intervals....
>
>Anyone have an idea what it could be?

It could be moisture. Leave the mic on overnight and place it in
front of a loudspeaker, table radio, or anything that will give the
capsule(s) something to do. Any excess wet should be cooked an shaken
out by morning.

http://liondogmusic.com

<< It could be moisture. Leave the mic on overnight and place it in
front of a loudspeaker, table radio, or anything that will give the
capsule(s) something to do. Any excess wet should be cooked an shaken
out by morning.

Don't know about the shaking, but I used to dry a U87 that had too much breath
moisture build up by placing it a couple feet above a 50 watt lamp for a few
hours.

Scott Fraser

On 04 Nov 2004 04:30:47 GMT, scotfraser@aol.com (ScotFraser) wrote:

><< It could be moisture. Leave the mic on overnight and place it in
>front of a loudspeaker, table radio, or anything that will give the
>capsule(s) something to do. Any excess wet should be cooked an shaken
>out by morning.
> >>

>Don't know about the shaking, but I used to dry a U87 that had too much breath
>moisture build up by placing it a couple feet above a 50 watt lamp for a few
>hours.
>
>Scott Fraser

Done that, too on real stubborn units or if I'm in a hurry.

http://liondogmusic.com

In article <20041103233047.21876.00000038@mb-m14.aol.com>,
ScotFraser <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote:
><< It could be moisture. Leave the mic on overnight and place it in
>front of a loudspeaker, table radio, or anything that will give the
>capsule(s) something to do. Any excess wet should be cooked an shaken
>out by morning.
> >>

>Don't know about the shaking, but I used to dry a U87 that had too much breath
>moisture build up by placing it a couple feet above a 50 watt lamp for a few
>hours.

That is often a sign that the diaphragm has become dirty, and that the dirt
is absorbing moisture and becoming conductive. Certainly capsule cleaning
would not hurt once you have verified that drying it out fixes the problem.
--scott

A friend of mine likes to tell the tale of when he was a tape op and there
was some really obnoxious client demanding all the U87's they had, one of
which had a slightly damp capsule. To get things moving quick and avoid
further abuse, he attempted to dry it with a hair dryer placed, so he
thought, at a safe enough distance that it couldn't possibly damage the gold
foil .............

"Vortex" <nospam@overhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got an AKG C-414 B-ULS TL II with a noise problem.
>
> I'm getting sound, through but with a little more hiss and the
> biggest problem is every few seconds there's like a "pumping"
> noise that'll happen 1-4 times, then stops and does it again after
> a bit. It doesn't happen at regular intervals....
>
> Anyone have an idea what it could be?
>
> Has anybody has this happen before?
>
> Perhaps the 2 large Caps are going?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mario

ms

Some 414 mmodelss have switches that become noisy, in particular-move
the hii-pas from side to side a number of times.

micha

In article <i5gro019anvghmk90q16q8cucucln4ao8g@4ax.com>, ms <micha@att.net>
wrote:

> Some 414 mmodelss have switches that become noisy, in particular-move
> the hii-pas from side to side a number of times.
>

> micha
> >
> >"Vortex" <nospam@overhere.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I've got an AKG C-414 B-ULS TL II with a noise problem.
> >>
> >> I'm getting sound, through but with a little more hiss and the
> >> biggest problem is every few seconds there's like a "pumping"
> >> noise that'll happen 1-4 times, then stops and does it again after
> >> a bit. It doesn't happen at regular intervals....
> >>
> >> Anyone have an idea what it could be?
> >>
> >> Has anybody has this happen before?
> >>
> >> Perhaps the 2 large Caps are going?
> >>
> >> Any help is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Mario

I had a similar problem that turned out to be due to transformer failure: yes,
there is a transformer in the TL II, but not in the direct signal path. (It
feeds phantom power to the capsule.)

-Jay