Aladin 7 chipset ever come to life?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
where can I find it? who makes it?
if not, best recommendation on a K6 III+ mobo or someone tell me how the heck to flash the bios on my PC Chips M598LMR.
thanks

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Re: How do you update mobo BIOS? [re: TheAntipop]

You need to make a bootable floppy and run BIOS flash from a pure DOS enviornment...
Boot to DOS
put floppy in A: drive
enter "format a: /s"
extract bios flash utility to floppy disc
boot to floppy
run utility replacing old BIOS w/ new .bin image

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

PCChips makes two Aladdin 7 motherboards.
ATX - <A HREF="http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M583LMR.html" target="_new">M583LMR</A>
AT - <A HREF="http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M587LMR.html" target="_new">M587LMR</A>
I don't know who sells them.

Here is a <A HREF="http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum2/HTML/009081.html" target="_new">discussion</A> where someone named Mosherup
posted that the K6-III+ didn't work on his M598LMR.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks, but I know HOW to do it, it just doesn't work on this damn board.
I don't recommend the PC Chips M598LMR to anyone. Not a good board.
I'm just hoping someone somewhere has figured out why it doesn't work.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not something you can do by yourself unfortunatly, the board manufactorer has to come out with the bios for the k6-3+ so you can flash it.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!"

aiight man, yer starting to step on toes...
I've been doing this for 8 years, just this POS didn't work right until a little while ago... I found a workaround.
happy to say, even tho there is NO DOCUMENTATION, INVALID LINKS, POOR SITE MAINTAINANCE, DEAD LINKS and VERSION PROBLEMS, not to mention the fact the links they have on the site go to NOTHING... 404 error...
I flashed the bios and got this bitch working.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Please share with us how you manged to get the k6-3+ working on that board. Did you find a bios for it that would work? Or did you do something else? If there is a workaround that does not need a flash bios updare I would love to use it and I am always up for learning something new. Not quite sure what you meant by saying I was starting to step on toes however.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, I see. "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!" is your sig... my bad. thought it was a shot at me...
anyways, yea, I went to the web site, the links were bad to the BIOS update, I managed to go into the ftp site they were located on and looked around for every bit of info I could find.
ennywho, the bios rom's aren't dated on the site that I could tell, I kinda played russian roulette here, but it worked.
just flashed the bios to the 9/30/2000 version and it booted up, then I set it up all over again...
600mhz K6III+ running cooler than the K62 did at 550.
if you need info on flashing it or the files or something, let me know.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought maybe you found a way to get it to boot without the bios update. I am dieing to find a bios update that will let me use this chip on a MSI ms-5185 mobo. I wrote MSI, and at least they responded ( that in and of itself is unusual) but the person writing the letter didn't have a clue about this chip. ( pretty scary considering they do have a board ms-5169 that with the right bios will work). you got it at 6oo eh? Cool the most I could get out of mine was 550. What voltage you running? Don't know if you got the time but if you do what is your cpumark99 score?
Myself I opted to go to 112 X 4.5 = 504 which gave me better all performance on all benchmarks except a little hit on the FPU.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
don't have CPUmark99, will get it eventually tho.
the memory bandwidth via Sisoft Sandra was about 58-64MBps before w/K6 2 @ 550 w/100mhz fsb, CAS set at 2 in the bios(I doubt the accuracy of the setup vs the actual hardware, actual programs say 3/5/3/3/7 or aproximate...)
I got 77MBps @ 450, 79@ 550 and 80ish @ 600.
memory bandwidth was my primary reason for getting this processor, I hoped it would patch my crappy system, and it did.
I'll get some more benchmark results soon, it'll take a little work and a little searching... I've got archives of it I can't find... may have lost them when my antique 2.5 gig HD went south...
btw, 2.1 volts
completely stable except for Need for Speed High Stakes @ 2.0v.
passes every test except for that one, just bumped it up .1v, 100% stable. hopefully it'll let me drop it back down soon.