Banshee8732

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I've been using the computer I built for about 2 weeks now, almost everything is going good. I've been playing Crysis and COD:WAW a lot. I played through the entire single player campaign in WAW and I'm almost through the single player mode in Crysis.

A couple days ago when I was playing Crysis, an alarm started to buzz. At first I thought it was something in the level so I didn't pay much attention to it. However, it kept doing it on and off and now it happens when I play WAW too. I haven't changed any settings on anything, this alarm just started going off. I tried to play WAW earlier today and it went off almost as soon as I started the game.

My CPU alarm is set to go off at 60 C. When the alarm went off today I immediately checked out PC Health in my BIOS. CPU temp. was 40 something, I don't remember exactly what it was but I know it was in the 40's C.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Motherboard
PNY GeForce GTX 275 896MB
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066
C2D E2200 2.2GHZ

Any ideas?

Banshee8732

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Well, I loaded System Information for Windows. One of the things it displays is temperatures. I have Vista x64 and I went to update my Windows Experience Index score and as my computer was running that, the alarm started going off so I quick jumped to SIW to check the temps.

Core 0 and Core 1 of my CPU were around 57-58 C.
GPU Core was about the same.

Now that I'm not doing anything on my PC besides writing this message,
Core 0 is 28 C and Core 1 is 33 C
GPU Core is 48 C

daship

Distinguished
Raise the alarm temp. Wie doest stress it real hard and you say it was 58 so during a game it is probably hitting 60+ it can go to 70 and still be safe, try raisng alarm to 70.

You could get new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink but you might as well buy a zigmatek s1283 heatsink while your at it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a motherboard that monitors and alarms not only the CPU temperature, but the speed of the CPU cooler fan. Even if the CPU temp is OK, if it thinks the fan is not turning it will throw a loud alarm. Open the case and check that the fan is actually turning - not blocked by a wire or something. Also check the connection from the CPU fan to the mobo socket - is that loose? By the way, I am presuming that you have a cooler fan with a 4-pin connector. The older design with 3 pins does not provide a fan speed signal, so the mobo ALWAYS thinks the fan is not turning, and you have to go into the BIOS and turn off that particular alarm. But if that is your situation, I don't see how it could have run with no alarm for 2 weeks, unless the BIOS alarm setting got changed.