Albatron ti4680 problems?

Hi,
I have albatron ti4680 card that has just started to develop issues.
The card is not overclocked at all.

-What happens is that at random times my screen goes completely green and
the mouse cursor turns into a square block

-Sometimes the pc will then reboot after about 30 seconds and then the
screen goes to vertical lines until I physically turn it of then it normally
boots
and runs fine for a while till it goes green again

-I have scanned for viruses and my system is completely clean

-did a fresh install of xp but did not help

-Im thinking perhaps a memory problem on the card ?

-I installed another card into the system to see if it still happened but it
doesnt so im sure its a card issue.

Any help ideas would be appreciated

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

if its started to develop problems but has been working fine then its most
likely one of 2 problems - either overheating (check the fan is working
properly and open the case to cool it down) or PSU.

"rossco" <rossco7@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
om.au...
> Hi,
> I have albatron ti4680 card that has just started to develop issues.
> The card is not overclocked at all.
>
> -What happens is that at random times my screen goes completely green and
> the mouse cursor turns into a square block
>
> -Sometimes the pc will then reboot after about 30 seconds and then the
> screen goes to vertical lines until I physically turn it of then it
normally
> boots
> and runs fine for a while till it goes green again
>
> -I have scanned for viruses and my system is completely clean
>
> -did a fresh install of xp but did not help
>
> -Im thinking perhaps a memory problem on the card ?
>
> -I installed another card into the system to see if it still happened but
it
> doesnt so im sure its a card issue.
>
> Any help ideas would be appreciated

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"rossco" <rossco7@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have albatron ti4680 card that has just started to develop issues.
> The card is not overclocked at all.
>
> -What happens is that at random times my screen goes completely green and
> the mouse cursor turns into a square block
>
> -Sometimes the pc will then reboot after about 30 seconds and then the
> screen goes to vertical lines until I physically turn it of then it
normally
> boots
> and runs fine for a while till it goes green again

This is definitely not a fan or power supply problem. GPU and/or memory
problems. Time to get that FX5900!

Have you tried the card in another computer?

Thanks for your input but unforntuately both the psu and the vid fan are
fine.
Tested with another psu and the same happens

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> if its started to develop problems but has been working fine then its most
> likely one of 2 problems - either overheating (check the fan is working
> properly and open the case to cool it down) or PSU.
>
> "rossco" <rossco7@westnet.com.au> wrote in message

> om.au...
> > Hi,
> > I have albatron ti4680 card that has just started to develop issues.
> > The card is not overclocked at all.
> >
> > -What happens is that at random times my screen goes completely green
and
> > the mouse cursor turns into a square block
> >
> > -Sometimes the pc will then reboot after about 30 seconds and then the
> > screen goes to vertical lines until I physically turn it of then it
> normally
> > boots
> > and runs fine for a while till it goes green again
> >
> > -I have scanned for viruses and my system is completely clean
> >
> > -did a fresh install of xp but did not help
> >
> > -Im thinking perhaps a memory problem on the card ?
> >
> > -I installed another card into the system to see if it still happened
but
> it
> > doesnt so im sure its a card issue.
> >
> > Any help ideas would be appreciated

No havent had the chance to try in another computer.
The problem is getting more frequent now so I think I will have to invest in
a new card.

Im pretty disappointed in this card as It wasnt o'clocked at all ever yet
other cards I have owned I had them running way over spec for a long time
with no problems.

Thanks for all your help

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried the card in another computer?

>No havent had the chance to try in another computer.
>The problem is getting more frequent now so I think I will have to invest in
>a new card.

I have the same card. It's a great card. I've been overclocking mine to 325/650
for a while with no problems.
The reason I mentioned trying it in another computer is because even though
everything is pointing at the card it might not be the card at all.
I would remove the card clean both sides of the edge connector on the card with
a pencil erasor. Visually inspect both sides of the the card for damage.
Capacitors leaking, anything that doesn't look right such as burnt marks.
Re-install the card, confirm the fan is spinning on the heatsink.
Check the monitor cable for damage, and the connector on the card for damage.

Completely uninstall the drivers for the card. Then reinstall the 44.03's which
I have found to be the best for my 4680. Good stability and speed.

The problems you described do they only happen in 2D? Test out 3D with some
games to see if you have the same problems.

did the eraser trick to no avail.
-The problem has ocured even before i have had a chance to install drivers
of any description after a fresh install so I believe that the drivers are
not the issue.

I did revert back to the 45.23 drivers after thge issue first appeared when
i was running the latest nvidia drivers but it still was not resolved.

I have been running another card in the same system for 3 days now with no
probs so the monitor lead is not the prob.

Happens both in 2d aswell as 3d.

I will try it in another pc when i can but Im beginning to think its life is
over
> >No havent had the chance to try in another computer.
> >The problem is getting more frequent now so I think I will have to invest
in
> >a new card.
>
> I have the same card. It's a great card. I've been overclocking mine to
325/650
> for a while with no problems.
> The reason I mentioned trying it in another computer is because even
though
> everything is pointing at the card it might not be the card at all.
> I would remove the card clean both sides of the edge connector on the card
with
> a pencil erasor. Visually inspect both sides of the the card for damage.
> Capacitors leaking, anything that doesn't look right such as burnt marks.
> Re-install the card, confirm the fan is spinning on the heatsink.
> Check the monitor cable for damage, and the connector on the card for
damage.

> Completely uninstall the drivers for the card. Then reinstall the 44.03's
which
> I have found to be the best for my 4680. Good stability and speed.
>
> The problems you described do they only happen in 2D? Test out 3D with
some
> games to see if you have the same problems.

I believe you posted that it doesn't do it all the time right?
If that's the case its probably not hardware related. Usually when hardware
fails It either works or it doesn't. Unless heat related which might cause the
problems you described.
The only way I know of to test this is to try the card in another system.
That would rule out everything else besides the card.

All temps in the system are lower now than they have ever been and yet it
still does it
It is at a point where its doing it all the time now

> I believe you posted that it doesn't do it all the time right?
> If that's the case its probably not hardware related. Usually when
hardware
> fails It either works or it doesn't. Unless heat related which might cause
the
> problems you described.
> The only way I know of to test this is to try the card in another system.
> That would rule out everything else besides the card.

I will try it in another system as soon as possible but Im 99% sure its the
card as the system was stable and unchanged b4 the problems began

Also as soon as I installed new card probs disappeared.

> All temps in the system are lower now than they have ever been and yet it
> still does it
> It is at a point where its doing it all the time now
>
> "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I believe you posted that it doesn't do it all the time right?
> > If that's the case its probably not hardware related. Usually when
> hardware
> > fails It either works or it doesn't. Unless heat related which might
cause
> the
> > problems you described.
> > The only way I know of to test this is to try the card in another
system.
> > That would rule out everything else besides the card.

>I will try it in another system as soon as possible but Im 99% sure its the
>card as the system was stable and unchanged b4 the problems began
>
>Also as soon as I installed new card probs disappeared.

If it is happening more and more. It might be a failing component on the board
such as a capacitor.
Hardware usually either works or it doesn't, but that is not always the case.
From what your telling me now it doesn't sound like it is heat related.
If you want to be sure open the side of your computer and have a house fan
blowing right on the card. If it's heat related the house fan should cool the
card enough to be able to see an improvement.
I don't think it's heat related though because graphic cards don't get all that
hot when they are only doing 2D. You have the problem in 2D so I don't think
it's heat .
I would look at the both sides of the board for damage to any of the components
such as leaking or bulging capacitors.