News Alder Lake i7-12700H Shows Impressive Performance at 115W TDP

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The TDP (AKA PL1) of this CPU is 45W, the same as most previous -H mobile chips. 115W is the (limited duration) maximum turbo power (previously known as PL2). The OEM is free to configure both PL1 and PL2 limits, as well as how long the CPU can turbo, to meet power/thermal requirements of the laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: sivaseemakurthi

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It's about options. Few people need this much portable power. For multithreaded applications, this is basically a Threadripper 1950x in a portable platform. For lower thread count workloads, this chip will crush the threadripper. This is a DTR or portable workstation for professionals or gamers. You're not supposed to take this to the park and try and make the battery last all day watching Netflix and surfing the internet.

Last edited:

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
The 115W is for OEMs who want to make designs with more performance. Intel should have made lower power designs launch first to prevent confusion about power consumption.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
They are going with the performance narrative here, to show how AL laptop beats Zen3+, but when stated the facts, they revert to excuses like, but it's 45W... So what is it now?

Is it 115W to beat Zen3+ in performance or 45W? Because at efficiency I know who will win and is not intel, but Zen3+.

They are going with the performance narrative here, to show how AL laptop beats Zen3+, but when stated the facts, they revert to excuses like, but it's 45W... So what is it now?

Is it 115W to beat Zen3+ in performance or 45W? Because at efficiency I know who will win and is not intel, but Zen3+.
Yeah just as with previous models ryzen will run at much lower TDP when on battery giving a much worse user experience.
Nobody cares about efficiency as long as the battery lasts long enough, what people care about is if the laptop is crawling when on battery or if it continues to run well.

Reactions: panathas